logo

Meat Temp Before Smoking

Exocet

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay, do you let your meat come to room temp (or slightly below) before going on the smoker, or do you pull it from the fridge and go?

On my UDS, larger cuts seem to suppress the temp a bit and take longer to cook if they are cold. Not too surprising, I guess.

I'm just wondering what other people do?

No more time on the counter than necessary to get the pit running right. Mostly about an hour

I am no pro but I let beef come up close to room temp but not chicken or pork.

Fridge to smoker, I didn't find any real gains by warming meat up first, I even tried extra cooling in the freezer not freezing it but cooling it extra, I think it's something that you will see more on grub network than BBQ

All ill say is for brisket its easiest to trim cold. if it sits or not after that is marginal

Okay, do you let your meat come to room temp (or slightly below) before going on the smoker, or do you pull it from the fridge and go?

On my UDS, larger cuts seem to suppress the temp a bit and take longer to cook if they are cold. Not too surprising, I guess.

I'm just wondering what other people do?

Stick a probe in the center of a butt and then put it on your counter and see how long it actually takes to come to "room temp" around 70 degrees. Takes a long time (more than a few hours). If you are actually letting raw bigger meats come to room temp there can food safety issues :becky:.

Usually just take meat out of fridg, rub and then start the coals. Usually about 30-45 min until cooker is ready.

I put the rub on my butts the night before. Ribs get rubbed a couple hours before. Both go from the fridge to the smoker. I think the meat takes in more smoke which we like when it is put on the smoker cold. Now steaks and chops get left on the counter for a couple hours before grilling.

I know Aaron Franklin lets his briskets sit at room temp for a bit before throwing them on the smoker, purely to speed up the cooking process.

Cold meat doesn't take in more smoke flavor, but it does get a more prominent smoke ring and take a bit longer to cook. Maybe the extra smokey flavor some people perceive isn't due to the cold meat itself, but is instead related to the meat cooking for an extra ~30-60 minutes in the smoker.

Cold meat doesn't take in more smoke flavor, but it does get a more prominent smoke ring and take a bit longer to cook. Maybe the extra smokey flavor some people perceive isn't due to the cold meat itself, but is instead related to the meat cooking for an extra ~30-60 minutes in the smoker.

Lol this is quite the paradoxical statement right here.

COLD. I don't even take it out the fridge until the pit is warmed up. Prep is about 15 min and on it goes

No more time on the counter than necessary to get the pit running right. Mostly about an hour

Usually just take meat out of fridg, rub and then start the coals. Usually about 30-45 min until cooker is ready.

Yup these 2 right here, also I trim my brisket cold then inject with 34f injection 10 hours before, then back in the fridge. Rub when I lite the pit.
See above time for that

Food safety would say don't try to bring a big piece of meat to room temp.

I see no reason to get just the outside to room temp either, but just my opinion--an hour or two on the counter probably won't hurt anything.

I pretty much go light the smoker, go back inside and get the meat out, trimmed and seasoned and then it sits on the counter until I'm happy with the color of the smoke. I'd guess it's usually about an hour out of the fridge until the meat goes on. For big chunks of meat like a brisket it would take a long time to get the centers to room temp. Prob at least 4 or 5 hours. That doesn't seem a like a good idea to me.

straight out of the fridge with just enough time to get the cooker up to temp while I trim and rub. meat gets up to room temp quicker in the cooker.:heh:

I like to have mine rubbed at least a few hours ahead of time. Put them in the cooler with Ice bag, etc. Then take the cooler out with the pit, from cooler to pit.

Back