Zaks Custom Pits Question

akochman

Found some matches.
Reaction score
HEEEEELLLLOOOOOO Brethren!

Anyone out there know anything about Zak's Custom Pits? I am looking to get serious with a trailer set up, and I like the options and the look I am seeing, but I don't know a darn thing about the builder. Any warnings? Praise? I know about Meadowcreek, and a few other builders, but nobody can beat the bang-for-the-buck that Zak's has. Could be poor work, or they are just not into putting the money-boots to people like me on a (reasonable) lower budget under $10K.

Thanks so much guys and gals!

The builder is sooooo important. Due your homework. Do a search for Shirley Fabrications. Paul Shirley is the owner builder. You will not find a better person as him. Just do a search and see what everyone has to say about him and his cookers.

Looks to me (from a quick review of their web site) like they have the fabrication skills and build good chit. As a custom builder myself I would focus on a single question: are they "cooks" or just good welders? There are hundreds and hundreads of great fabricators out there and I don't mean to take anything away from them, but if you don't cook on the cookers you build then (IMO) you can't really appreciate air flow, draft, exhaust and a whole bunch of other chit that governs good Q; and after all good Q is the goal, not a well built chunk of iron.

They look like nice pits. I notice they are traditional offsets, and that they are made from diamondplate. First question to me, is what is the thickness of the firebox metal and the cook chamber metal. Second, would be to really take a look at the trailer as well as the cooker.

You really can't compare a traditional offset versus a reverse flow, simply different animals in terms of materials and labor.

They been around a lil while. I've seen BBQ Caterers with their rigs. I don't personally know anyone one who has one.

from their Website.........

About Zaks Custom Pits

We are a family business with three full time fabricators; father and sons. We live in the small town of Lake Whitney. Monday through Friday we are hard at work building and designing BBQ Pits. Saturday usually spent BBQing or hunting and fishing. Sunday in church and spending time with our families.
With back ground in fabricating heat ex changers for industries. With that background of understanding transfer of thermal energy has been one factor in our success. As well as an obsessive goal in quality in craftsmen ship.
The Father has been building BBQ Pits since the mid 80’s. His sons built their first BBQ Pit when they were just teenagers.​

Thanks everyone! The main issue I am running into is shipping a trailer to Montana. I have priced out regions, and North Texas and Iowa are about as far as I can go before I am getting too high in cost. I have not had any luck finding a builder anywhere near me so...here I am.

from their Website.........

About Zaks Custom Pits

We are a family business with three full time fabricators; father and sons. We live in the small town of Lake Whitney. Monday through Friday we are hard at work building and designing BBQ Pits. Saturday usually spent BBQing or hunting and fishing. Sunday in church and spending time with our families.
With back ground in fabricating heat ex changers for industries. With that background of understanding transfer of thermal energy has been one factor in our success. As well as an obsessive goal in quality in craftsmen ship.

The Father has been building BBQ Pits since the mid 80’s. His sons built their first BBQ Pit when they were just teenagers.​

Sounds good to me:thumb:

Back