Need Advice: Boneless Chicken Breast

Cat797

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So, my kids and my bride really like boneless skinless chicken breast. They hate meat on the bone!!! :crazy::crazy:

So, I need a recipe for doing boneless chicken breasts on my YS640 pellet grill. What do y'all do? brine? marinate? etc., etc?

I can see cooking up a mess of them for a week's worth of meals and stuff, but need all ye wise brethren's recommendations!

Thanks,
Ed

dude I roll them in a little Italian salad dressing season them up 325- 350 35 minutes or so to 160-165. that should work on your rig

And Dijon.

But really I would start with a bone in breast and serve a boneless. Way cheaper and way better.

Super simple brine of water, sugar, salt and the zest of one orange. Bring that to a boil so salt and sugar can disolve and then cool down with ice.

Place the chicken in a gallon zip lock with a little more salt, pepper and garlic powder. Zest 1 lime with lime juice and the juice of the zested orange and then add the brine. Let it brine for at least 2 hours. I usually go about 6 hours.

Remove chicken and hit it one more time with salt and pepper. Just a dusting and cook for 14 minutes for boneless.

Nice, bright citrus chicken and It's goooooooood.

I cook chicken breast almost everyweek for lunches or snacks. I always slice them like a hamburger bun and pound those 2 pieces into a similar thickness. Sometimes i will marinate in italian dressing for a few hours then grill, or whip up a batch of homemade mojo marinade and do the same.

Another thing i do and they are awesome is mix mayo with alittle dijon mustard and use that as a coating on pounded chicken breasts. Then mix up some panko, cayenne pepper, and some seasonings and coat the breasts. Then put on a rack on a cooking sheet and spray the chicken with pam. Bake at 450 till done. Nice crunchy chicken that is awesome dipped in some condiments.

I always go simple...slice in half (or butterfly like Matt does), put some kosher salt on each side, let sit for 30 minutes, then put a little rub on, let sit for 5-10 minutes, then throw 'em on the grill (Green mountain in my case). Cook them until they're 160 internal, and enjoy!

Pound them out to about 3/4 thickness, marinate or brine....simple brine as mentioned above with some pickle juice works great.

When I do boneless breasts on my weber kettle, I build my fire on one side and get it as hot as it will go. I put some wood chunks on the grate over the coals. I put the seasoned breasts on the other side and let them sit for 30 minutes. Then I flip them. After 15 minutes I start checking temps. When they get close to 160, I glaze them. Then pull them once they reach 160. then let them rest. After resting I slice then cross ways into little medallions. I don't worry about brining because most of what the store has have already been injected with a solution. They always turn out tender and juicy.

Brine with Oakridge gamechanger. You also could add some boneless chicken thighs with your breasts.

I agree with those that say brine. I think white meat is dry to begin with. Remove the skin and bone and it just compounds the moisture loss. The brine helps IMO. My go to recipe for brine is 68 g sugar, 50 g kosher salt and two quarts of water. That is one quarter cup each of sugar and salt. You can adjust up or down depending on how much you are doing. I have a couple of food grade plastic buckets with lids that will fit in my refrigerator. I can get three cornish hens in the larger one. White sugar adds a little sweet element to the taste if you like that. I don't notice it with brown sugar. I brine the same day I am cooking and don't get hung up on how long they are in it. It is usually about 4 hours though. Once ready to cook, anything goes. Grilled and finished with BBQ sauce, grilled with rubs or spices of choice or smoked with rubs or spices. In the very near future I am going to try them in my rotisserie basket from Menards. Have fun!

And Dijon.

But really I would start with a bone in breast and serve a boneless. Way cheaper and way better.

Agree, cook with bone and skin for added flavor and reduced cost. Easy to remove from bone and peel off skin after the cook. It's also a bit a a cooks treat as your removing what the bride and kids don't like.

Ed, I cook them at my restaurant on my 640. Put whatever seasoning on that you like set at 270 and check in an hour and a half. Pull at 160. You may need to flip them to get the top done. I have found the ones on the right side of the smoker will take longer. I just rotate them to the left as those get done. Even when reheating them they have a lot of moisture.

Back