Rib comp box help

gotribe28

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Competed in a IBCA comp this weekend no garnish allowed and the don't tell you past the final table what place you finished so I don't know how to improve or if I have improved.

Any help you can give me is appreciated

Attachments

• 20140913_124847_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20140913_124847_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Is there two layers of ribs in there? If so, stagger them so that you can see both layers. Also, if you can, use ribs from the same rack for each layer (e.g., rack 1 in the bottom layer and rack 2 in the top layer). They tend to look better because they all line up well.

The ribs look good, but the seem to be a bit dull. That may be the picture angle. A light glaze at the end to make them shiny may help.

Is there two layers of ribs in there? If so, stagger them so that you can see both layers. Also, if you can, use ribs from the same rack for each layer (e.g., rack 1 in the bottom layer and rack 2 in the top layer). They tend to look better because they all line up well.

The ribs look good, but the seem to be a bit dull. That may be the picture angle. A light glaze at the end to make them shiny may help.

At the cooks meeting she told us to stack them just like that. I have to say I was not happy with IBCA I thought it was not run smoothly, for instance we had to squeeze two full halfs of chicken in one box.

At the cooks meeting she told us to stack them just like that. I have to say I was not happy with IBCA I thought it was not run smoothly, for instance we had to squeeze two full halfs of chicken in one box.

Interesting... I don't cook IBCA, so don't let me steer you wrong. I would rather see the bottom ribs instead of hiding them. I wonder why they do it that way.

I can't imagine getting to chicken halves in one box. Cornish hens, maybe :-D

For IBCA, there are a couple of accommodations you might want to make in consideration that the judges are trying to sample from the ribs with a flimsy plastic knife and fork. Turn in ribs that have been "Hollywood" cut: the knife goes right next to the bone of the previous rib, and right next to the bone of the following rib, so all the meat possible is on the sides of the bone that goes into the box. That gives a lot more real estate for that fork and knife to get into. Additionally, overcook the ribs to nearly the point of falling off the bone, again to make it easier to get a sample off.

The ribs above look a little dull, cakey and dark, so watch your color, apply a thinner glaze only right at the end of the cook, and have a paper towel with you when you go to turn-in in case any dripping accumulates in the box before entry.

Usually, unless there are over 50 teams, IBCS has you turn in 7 slices of brisket, 7 ribs and 1 half fully jointed chicken with the wing tips on. Over 50 teams and you turn in 9 pieces each of brisket and ribs and two half fully jointed chickens. No more, no less or DQ'd.

Sauce is not supposed to be applied after it comes off of the smoker. Sauce is supposed to be cooked on.

Brisket cannot be cut off on the ends after being cooked to fit in the box. You have to cut it to fit prior to cooking or wrap it around after it is cooked.

Ribs have to be placed 4 on bottom, 3 on top if you turn in 7 (<50 teams) and 5 on bottom, 4 on top (>50 teams). The ribs have to be parallel with the hinge on the box. Not much way to showcase the ribs with 9 in the box. The box above is the way it has to be.

Chicken is one half of a fully jointed chicken for less than a 50 team contest and two separate fully jointed half chickens for contests with more than 50 teams. The chicken box is a bigger box for >50 team contests. They will fit fine in the larger box.

I agree with the comments above. Hollywood cut has done me well :) As far as chicken, find a 4.5lb bird.. they fit better in the box, especially true if you have to turn in 2 halves.

they eat ribs with a fork and knife? Yea, i'll never cook one of those events.

5 and up to 5.5 lb birds fit just fine in the box,
ribs just parallel with the hinge, doesnt matter if its five four or two top or bottom anymore.
sauce doesnt not have to be "cooked" on, that is old rules, You just cannot sauce or do anything to the meat once it is placed in the tray.
there have been some changes and they are finally in the process of improving the website tremendously, the constitution and bylaws are now on the website too but as said they are making changes still.
At this time it is still the best we have in Texas as well as the biggest, things may change in time though.

Turn in ribs that have been "Hollywood" cut: the knife goes right next to the bone of the previous rib, and right next to the bone of the following rib, so all the meat possible is on the sides of the bone that goes into the box. That gives a lot more real estate for that fork and knife to get into.

If turning in Hollywood cuts, then you obviously wont be turning in ribs that are side by side to one another correct? More like every other rib right?

Back