Just some Spare Ribs

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
We go to a friends and family rib cook every year and I always take my old cheap Char-Griller ($20 CL find) to cook my ribs on. Broke it out a week early to take her for a spin.

View attachment 162393

Have plenty of Maple and Alder on hand

View attachment 162394

Fire it up with a ½ chimney of KBB and maple. Ribs rubbed and, on the grill. Bought Spare Ribs and trimmed up St Louis Style.

View attachment 162395

Had some pounders of BL to keep me refreshed while I make sure the fire stay’s pretty even. The dial just has zones and I use a heat gun on the surface to get an idea of stability, and hot or cold areas.

View attachment 162396

After 2 hours it was wrapped in foil with some sauce for just under an hour. Back on the grill with a little more sauce.

View attachment 162397

View attachment 162398

View attachment 162399

Just under 30 more minutes and they are ready

View attachment 162400

View attachment 162401

Pretty decent Smoke Ring

View attachment 162402

Sliced and stacked

View attachment 162403

View attachment 162404

Let’s Eat!

View attachment 162405

These were good, and my standard method seemed to hold up well. Good bite but clean bone, moist and tasty. - We’ll see next week.
Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Those look great! When you got ribs and beer, anything else is optional.

What temps are you guys doing your ribs at? I've been having them still come out tough at 4.5 hours at 250 degrees although the internal temps are right...

What temps are you guys doing your ribs at? I've been having them still come out tough at 4.5 hours at 250 degrees although the internal temps are right...

I do better at ~275° (where ever your cooker like to run)

Sounds like you do not foil?

At that grate temp and time, on my daisy wheel kettle with untrimmed spareribs, is when I might start to poke a toothpick in the meat to test it. If a toothpick doesn't go in and out smoothly, I have another beer. Call it 45-60 minutes.

Back