Need Some Advice With My Fatties

Tom Sellecks Mustache

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After my failed first attempt at making fatties, I figured I would clear up a few of my questions with the experts.

Can you cook them with different meats at the same time? I was getting requests from my family for ones rolled in sausage, ground turkey and ground beef. Will they cook similar or would it be better to stick with the same ground meat?

How long could I refridgerate a fully assembled fatty prior to cooking or does it matter? Going to cabin up north and I would rather assemble them at home and then bring them up in a cooler.

Last but not least, proir to the sky opening up and absolutely pouring on me during my last attempt, I found that they weren't coming up to temp very well. The smoker was holding between 260 and 300 for most of the smoke, with a few wild dips when the wind picked up. After 2 hours they were still sitting at around 145. Any ideas?

I know it's a lot, but my family isn't exactly as adventerous as I am when it comes to bbq experimentation, so I can't miss on my next attempt at fatties or I'm afraid they'll nix any further attempts.

Thanks for the help brethren!

My suggestion is to make it as simple as possible till you get a few under your belt, gotta crawl before you can walk. Use what you KNOW you're family will like that way you at least know they'll try it. Once you get some experience then start experimenting with different meats and stuffings. The first few times i smoked a fattie it was just a log of sausage. Then i tried different things to stuff it with and rubs.

You can absolutely make it ahead of time. It's probably better to let it sit so the sausage sets up and doesnt fall apart when trying to move it, but dont ask how i know that. I've let them sit over night and tossed it on the smoker in the morning with no problems.

I'm surprised at those temps it wasnt done yet, unless you're making a monster fattie. Try it again and see what happens but keep it real simple and i'm sure everyone will love it.

Keep it simple.. 1. what are you smoking them on, weber, smoker, UDS.
2. start out with the 1# rolls (Jimmy Dean Maple) and maybe a light rub.
3. Target temp 275 it can spike 300 or drop to 250, try to keep 275. I pull'm off at 175 IT. (TO RENDER SOME FAT). Good Luck and keep trying

Thanks for the tips! I'm a big proponent of the KISS method, so shouldn't be an issue keeping in line with that.

I was just as surprised that they weren't done, but I figured that it was just from the flex in the temps that slowed it down. I'll keep a better eye on it next time to make sure it's going right.

Oh, and I'm using a Masterbuilt gasser, the big fella XL. Not the best, but I manage.

I'm with Sweat'in Pig.....275 is a nice middle ground temp, not so hot that it dries out the edges.....

That's for most types......turkey, take a tad more care with, as it can dry out if not careful........I do gr. turkey stuff a little lower & it comes out nice...........

And like Zak said, don't be afraid to just smoke up a plain ole log o' sausage so you can get the hang of them. That's what I did, and besides, they're good eatin too!

Back