Whole hog help

bigbeef24

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The time has come, I'm picking up a 225 hog to cook for an event. Some suggested should be around 22 hours. But it seems as if direct cookers take half the time and I don't want to stand around for 12 hours to go with a hog that is cooked. I'm cooking on a 275 gallon tank belly up over charcoal and wood chunks. The event starts at 7:30 this Friday. There has to be a experienced brethren that can help.

Thanks,

I have never had one go 22 hours, but 12 - 15 is not uncommon for a hog that large. I take it form your description that you are shoveling coals/charcoal into place under the hog and using differing hot spots with more heat under the hams. Make sure that they or you break the backbone so the hog will lay flat and cook faster. I usually flip the hog once, but not everyone does. You will need help for a hog that big, or any hog really. Then it is done when its done. Try pulling on the ribs, shoulder bones, and ham bones. If they don't wiggle and pull away fairly clean its not done.

Add an extra 3 hrs to be safe. I made the mistake once. And we had lots of hungry peeps.

Hoggin this weekend too.

The site is a bit paranoid about spammers, which is fine. So I need to make some posts, so take it for what it's worth.
I'm doing one this weekend based on the Killer Hogs approach combined with info from Amazingribs. You might want to check out their techniques.

I've never gone that big but I'd think at least 20 hours minimum.

BTW...anyone got a light.

Last edited:
I would plan at least 20 hours. That's a lot of meat. Also, injecting will cause it to be a little slower.

From my experience, the hog juice that accumulates in the cavity while doing the hog on its back will slow down the cook. Poke holes through the body to allow the juice to flow out.

....and watch the drippings, they can catch fire. Good luck! :thumb:

Back