• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Grandfather's Old Weber Kettle....updated with Pron!

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Interesting story behind this old Kettle. Back in about 1979 -80, my grandmother was at her brother's house and noticed he had thrown away this brand new grill. Well, she loaded it up in her car and brought it home. For many years, my grandfather grilled up good food on it. After his passing many years ago, my grandmother gave it to my dad. My dad has had it at his place for many years, but didn't use it very often, so he offered it to me. Letter Stamp A (1979) with the three Daisy vents on the bottom. Missing the ash catcher, but I can fix that. Looking good for her age in Kettle Years. :becky:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
Inside just needs a good burn. Gotta say, that old grate is much heavier than the ones on my other two newer Kettles.:shock:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 786
Nice !!!!

Not all that many "A" Code '79's around.......the daisy wheelers make great smokers......sorta like my old guy "Bob".....probably a 76....no letter, but a lot like yours.............

Looks like it's in great shape Bob!
Don't forget to pass it on to your adopted relative.............me! :becky:

Third generation owner. I think that grill qualifies as an heirloom.

You can salvage that handle Bob. A light sanding and a coat of Teak Oil and you're stylin'. Of course, the O'neal handles are outstanding for this vintage grill.

Congratulations on inheriting a really nice kettle.

That's in much better shape than my "A".
kettleA2.jpg

That's in much better shape than my "A".
kettleA2.jpg

She looks good to me. Those ash pans are something else aren't they? :heh: I have fits sometimes with the one on my 18.5. :heh:

For now, gonna keep her stock. Handle has been sanded down and some oil rubbed in. Gave the lid and bowl a little rub down with evoo on a old rag. Some color came back, but it won't last long. Just wanted to hit a few scars and areas with some small rust patches. Can't wait to get her goin!

She looks good to me. Those ash pans are something else aren't they? :heh: I have fits sometimes with the one on my 18.5. :heh:

For now, gonna keep her stock. Handle has been sanded down and some oil rubbed in. Gave the lid and bowl a little rub down with evoo on a old rag. Some color came back, but it won't last long. Just wanted to hit a few scars and areas with some small rust patches. Can't wait to get her goin!
I set another container on top of the ash pan to catch any ashes that drop through the vents.
I clip one of these over each slot in the ash pan itself to hold it onto the legs.
1262181309_BindersClipN00004.jpg

I then pick the whole kettle up and dump the ashes out before each cook.

Back