Brisket Debate

You realize you have just opened Pandora's Box :doh:. People will tell you that absotively posolutely the best way to cook brisket is:

Low n Slow - Fat cap up
Low n Slow - Fat cap down
Low n Slow - Start Fat cap up and then finish Fat cap down
Low n Slow - Start Fat cap down and finish Fat cap up
Hot n Fast - Fat cap up
Hot n Fast - Fat cap down
Hot n Fast - Start Fat cap up and then finish Fat cap down
Hot n Fast - Start Fat cap down and finish Fat cap up

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Did I miss any?

But of couse the only one that is correct is Low n Slow - Fat cap down :thumb:

That is weird, that is exactly how I cook my brisket(s).
I just can't remember which way worked best.
I'm thinking "Hot n Slow" - Fat cap to the left.
Dang it.....maybe to the right. :blah:

Trim off all the Fat Cap n Deckle and run it 450* for 5 hrs exact.

You realize you have just opened Pandora's Box :doh:. People will tell you that absotively posolutely the best way to cook brisket is:

Low n Slow - Fat cap up
Low n Slow - Fat cap down
Low n Slow - Start Fat cap up and then finish Fat cap down
Low n Slow - Start Fat cap down and finish Fat cap up
Hot n Fast - Fat cap up
Hot n Fast - Fat cap down
Hot n Fast - Start Fat cap up and then finish Fat cap down
Hot n Fast - Start Fat cap down and finish Fat cap up

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Did I miss any?

But of couse the only one that is correct is Low n Slow - Fat cap down :thumb:

The specific temps: 225? 250? 275? 300? 325?

Like all questions about what's "best", you have to ask "best for what?"

Hot & fast gets food on the table quicker, can use less fuel, and lets you get some sleep while still cooking a big cut of meat.

Low & slow can make a better smoke ring, and if you don't have time for a long rest it might turn out a more tender brisket. It also gives you more time to drink beer.

Fat cap up or down doesn't matter with an indirect heat source, but it's fun to argue about. If you have a direct heat source, fat cap goes toward the heat source so you burn the fat, not the meat.

Me personally, I prefer a hybrid. I use a boil-in-bag method in the microwave. 1 packer, an extra-large Ziplock, and 2 3/4 cups of water. Microwave on high for 97 minutes, or until probe tender.

Perfectly stated!!! Each Pitmaster finds what works for them and goes from there. I've been smoking for years and am constantly tweaking how I cook and on what I cook.

Some feedback or all out war?

:popcorn:

You have to understand every cooker is different and everyone cooks different. Also everyone has different theories. Here is what I do. My cookers heat comes from the bottom. So I cook my Brisket with fat side down. I do cook low and slow . So the fat cap becomes a shield between the heat and meat. Also cooking this way I get great bark. If i cooked fat side up , then my bark would stick to the grates it is sitting on. We all know that rubs do not stick to fat . Also meat cooks from inside out. Which means as meat cooks it is extracting all the moisture out of the meat and pushing it out. So cooking fat side up. the juices dose not penetrate the meat . That is my 2 cents. Take it as you will . Keep smoking

My friends and I have been debating the best way to cook a whole brisket (flat and point).

some say, fat side up, cooking low and slow 225-250
some say, fat side down, cooking hot and fast 300-350

So I knew a better place to get some feedback on this was here, help me out Brethren!

Ahhhhh brisket...... Yummy. Here's my take low and slow fat side up @250. And for the love of god never ever put any BBQ sauce on brisket haha. I've always been told that people who put sauce on there brisket are hiding there mistakes, and in my opinion brisket taste a lot better without sauce!

Like all questions about what's "best", you have to ask "best for what?"

Hot & fast gets food on the table quicker, can use less fuel, and lets you get some sleep while still cooking a big cut of meat.

Low & slow can make a better smoke ring, and if you don't have time for a long rest it might turn out a more tender brisket. It also gives you more time to drink beer.

Fat cap up or down doesn't matter with an indirect heat source, but it's fun to argue about. If you have a direct heat source, fat cap goes toward the heat source so you burn the fat, not the meat.

Me personally, I prefer a hybrid. I use a boil-in-bag method in the microwave. 1 packer, an extra-large Ziplock, and 2 3/4 cups of water. Microwave on high for 97 minutes, or until probe tender.
Ok that got me :clap2::loco:

Back