Performer find but... do I buy it?

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Almost evryone wants a performer, I am no exception to this. However, I need another grill like I need another hole in the head. (it should be noted I just scored a sweet Red Head OTG still in the box from an auction for $70. :thumb: ) Anyways, I get a tip that a weber in a table was spotted at a store, I went to check it out and yep, it's a n older green performer. When I looked closer at it, it's missing the charcoal grate, the one touch system needs to be replaced including the ring and the ash catcher that wasn't locatable, also it appears that the assist may no longer be functional as the knob to turn on the gas is missing along with any tank mounting hardware. So, basically, the table is in great shape and so is the kettle but would have to buy a lot of replacement parts to get it back in working order. Now, is the tough question, they want $50 for it but, I think I can get it for $25. Do I get it, and just think it's cool to have a weber in a table or, do I get it and replace the parts, or pass on it?

Do you need a project? I don't have time for projects right now so I would pass. If your looking for a project than grab it, but you can probably find a better deal if you are patient.

At that a price it can be the beer grill in My shop I would scoop it up and work on it at my leisure "He who Dies with the most toys wins the game"!

$25~50 is EXTREMELY reasonable.....much less & they'd be paying you to take it, see?

ereplacementparts.com has a lot of stuff...............

I know some folks that may have boneyard parts, depending on year / model......

Grate -$10
Ash catcher $25
I don't know but probably $35 for the assist, etc. Plus some shipping.
Any Cover?
That might push me to buy it.
Otherwise - I'd walk.

If you can get it for $25 do so. Remove the kettle and use the cart for a UDS.
Use the kettle for parts (at least the lid).

gif_clint_yes350.gif

Yes!!!

5tewEZF.gif

Heck, a good kettle in a cart is easily worth $25-$50 even if you don't do anything else to it. Last I checked, Weber sold quite a few Performers without the gas assist and some who have it don't even use it, preferring to go with a chimney instead.

Also FWIW, used OTS's go for $50 around here and of course, they don't have the ash catcher.

Lastly, even if you don't have time currently for a project, if you have the space for the grill, you'll be kicking yourself later for not grabbing it. You probably already have a grate that will fit it so it's not like it will have to just sit around and wait for a 100% restore.

You know Tom, I've had my gas assist performer for a few years now, and I've NEVER used the gas assist. I don't even have a propane bottle for it...

You know Tom, I've had my gas assist performer for a few years now, and I've NEVER used the gas assist. I don't even have a propane bottle for it...

I have used it to light my chimney once in a while :-D

I use my propane assist on all 3 of my performers to light my chimneys lol. They actually do come in handy, so I don't need to pull out my weedburner.

Haven't used my chimney in quite a few cooks. I've been starting the coals with just one Weber starter cube nestled under a few briquettes.

Haven't used my chimney in quite a few cooks. I've been starting the coals with just one Weber starter cube nestled under a few briquettes.

Dang you got all fancy on me. I thought I was all high tech with the weed burner or propane assist.

I purchased a used redhead Weber performer about four years ago for $25. It had one-touch issues as well as some rust. It was unique in that the original owner had installed ceramic tile mosaic on the table.

My restoration project failed when I determined the rust was too much to overcome in replacing the one-touch system.

Last summer I purchased a new performer and have been very pleased.

Good luck if you decide to get it.

Back