Phubar's Brisket Question

Phubar

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Why not pulled?
I've been walking with this question quite a while and and I wonder what your opinions are.

Shoot!

Brisket Braid

10570552_10152648716944695_3560165831327694944_n.jpg

Is that to hold it with while you swing it over your head?

I turned in nothing but pulled once. The flat was ruined. Came in middle of the pack. Brisket is funny though when it comes to plateing around here. A friend layer them in a herringbone pattern and the rep said it could be considered marking so not sure how braids would go over.

I turned in nothing but pulled once. The flat was ruined. Came in middle of the pack. Brisket is funny though when it comes to plateing around here. A friend layer them in a herringbone pattern and the rep said it could be considered marking so not sure how braids would go over.

Thanks for the answer but it's not about laying the brisket in a certain pattern...pulled brisket that's where I'm aiming at.
I've never seen pulled brisket turned in the last 5 years since I'm into BBQ and competing.

They would be lost on tenderness score since they couldn't apply the "pull"? I'm listening though.

But the rules say you can turn in the chicken,pork,brisket sliced,pulled or diced.

I am certainly not a KCBS expert. :becky: Slightly better than the Estonians...:rolleyes:

You can turn in pulled. I'm just wondering if you will confuse them on tenderness since the "pull" test is taken away. I personally like it pulled.

Like what sitnfat said, I'm pretty sure that would violate the sculptured meat portion of the rules. It could be used to identify you (which is why that rule exists).

Like what sitnfat said, I'm pretty sure that would violate the sculptured meat portion of the rules. It could be used to identify you (which is why that rule exists).

Thanks but again...it's not about the braiding to "identify you".
It's about turning in pulled brisket.

Thanks but again...it's not about the braiding to "identify you".
It's about turning in pulled brisket.

Ah, my bad Phubar. I'm too new to competition to answer it, but I think on a personal level I prefer slices because they go across the grain, seems easier to chew on... but that's just me. I suppose if the strands were cut short enough it wouldn't be bad.

I would be afraid that the judges consensus would be that you overcooked it so badly you couldn't get slices from it. I know you are supposed to judge on taste :blabla: :blabla:... But we all know how the real world works.

Last edited:
I would be afraid that the judges consensus would be that you overcooked it so bad you couldn't get slices from it. I know you are supposed to judge on taste :blabla: :blabla: :blabla:... But we all know how the real world works.

Agreed, pretty sure two judges would have that feeling.

Im pretty certain any judge worth a chit is gonna mark it down.

Pulled = overcooked.

While it may be great in flavor and not bad to chew on it takes away any skill needed to cook a brisket to slicing tenderness.

I used to turn in pulled and slices all the time and actually did well with it. Hmmm, why did I ever stop ::twisted:

I've turned in flat slices, point cubes, and pulled in the same box a number of times. A few high calls, but never a first. Sometimes down in the pack, but it wasn't because of the pulled. never turned it in by itself, just don't think it would score well.

I have thought the same before and the reason I do NOT And not saying I am correct for all cooks.
My thinking is IF I turn in pulled brisket I overlooked that brisket and could not get proper slices and burnt ends as we all put as a standard goal.
That said I don't always agree with judges but for the most part judges understand the perfect cook meat I hope and would not want one to say I overcooker this and the only thing I could do with it was pull it.

Back