Catering for 300

Smokin'Butts

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I had someone call me today wanting a catering done for her husband's b-day. She wants 3/4 pork ribs and 1/4 beef ribs as the only meat. I got the serving size down on the pork, but how many racks of beef ribs do I need? How many people does a rack feed? I am looking at doing around 120 racks of spare ribs if that helps.

Thanks for the help!

Anytime that you "guess" what percentage of what meat that people will eat-you will get hammered. When I cook 2 meats---I cook 2 meats and charge for 2 meats. I have been to this rodeo. When folks see 2 meats they want to try both----it is human nature. If you only cook beef ribs for 25% of the people it WILL come back to haunt you. Yes--you can have a server say "Do you want pork or beef ribs?" but people walk away feeling cheated. I would cook 2 bones pork and 2 bones beef for each person and charge for 2 meats. Catering is the only kind of gambling that is legal in all 50 states----hedge your bets----making customers happy is our goal. Upsetting customers costs in the long run

What if the customer specifically request the 75/25 split? Her husband can't eat pork so... that is why she was wanting it that way

I'm with ChuckWagonBBQCo I don't do splits but in this case I might make the exception and call it special diets and cook a small amount for the 3-5 people who can't have pork. I'd tell the client to have the special diet guests see me for their entree and I'd have it in a hot box or something. Otherwise it's beef ribs for all.

What if the customer specifically request the 75/25 split? Her husband can't eat pork so... that is why she was wanting it that way

I'm not sure if she is understanding the whole Beef Rib thing. Also, just because her husband doesn't eat beef doesn't mean everyone else won't.

I hear what the others are saying and kinda with them but at the same time I think the big question is how big are the beef ribs going to be? If they are meaty then the difference between the 2 naturally creates a 25/75 split - 1 meaty beef rib + 3-4 spares... pretty much 25/75, right? then it's easy - 300 beef ribs!

but it looks like your 120 racks of spares are shooting for about 5 ribs per person, right? might pull back just a little unless the customer thinks they have big eaters or wants left overs - have fun!

Back