My take on a diffuser

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have been using them in my UDS for a few months now and actually have grown to like them.

As you can see I got plenty of holes drilled to allow some heat through as well as juices to still hit the coals. I have noticed even temps with them compared to uneven temps without one. I do like them. I will say however, that it seems as if my barks are not as crispy when I use them. I still get good bark but it seems as if it is a bit "soggy". Anyone else agree with my findings? If I am correct then I am not sure a diffuser should be used all the time. I am thinking maybe when I got food on my bottom rack to prevent burning but the top rack maybe I should not use it.

Mine is pretty much a permanent fixture now. I didn't fuss with the smaller holes in the middle and the bigger holes on the outside. I just kept it fairly even and found that worked best because it still allows enough of the direct heat above the basket to come up.

The only thing i'd do with yours is drill out the center a little bigger and maybe add more all over especially in the center area.

Mine is pretty much a permanent fixture now. I didn't fuss with the smaller holes in the middle and the bigger holes on the outside. I just kept it fairly even and found that worked best because it still allows enough of the direct heat above the basket to come up.

The only thing i'd do with yours is drill out the center a little bigger and maybe add more all over especially in the center area.

I have been trying to figure out if cooking on a UDS with a diffuser nixes the direct heat aspect. I don't know. Like I said i do like using it but it just seems like everything from my fatties to my ribs, although still yummy, tend to have softer bark. It very well could be my imagination as I have not done a side by side comparison of the 2 different ways.

You could have some merit to thinking that bark is a bit softer. My thought is that using the diffuser allows the drippings to sit on the pan and "steam" adding moisture to the pit. As opposed to the drippings falling into the fire and burning away rather quickly..

Just my take on the situation..

I stopped using a diffuser in my large vertical and in my mini. Couldn't be happier. Bark gets darker and firmer. If you are going to use one I think you have done it properly with all the large holes. I cook hot and fast if that makes a difference.

I have a large terra cotta plate filled with sand and then covered with foil to catch and retain the drippings. It is about 7 inches above my fire basket, and I have found it helps maintain a pretty steady temp once it all settles down. I only use it when cooking my briskets or something that takes a fairly long cook time @ 275 to 300* Anything else such as ribs, chicken, etc I do not use the diffuser, as I am after more of a firmer bark.

That said, my briskets come out with a good looking bark although not as crisp or as thick before I started to use the diffuser. They also come out much more tender and moister with it than without it. It does not seem to effect the smoke ring either.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

I don't know how you keep your diffuser so clean. And I agree with Fwismoker, you need more and larger holes. Are you wrapping after smoking? That can soften your bark a lot.

I don't know how you keep your diffuser so clean. And I agree with Fwismoker, you need more and larger holes. Are you wrapping after smoking? That can soften your bark a lot.

Nope just removing an eating so far. Clean? lol. I didn't think it was so clean? I think I did scrape some burnt stuff off recently but other than that I never wash anything. The main thing I noticed was some fatties I did originally with no diffuser then I built it and it seems like my fatties now are more soft on the bark.

Mine never looked that clean, as you can see it has had a lot of action and I scrap it as well. I find depending on where/how you place the hot coals into the basket depends on how even the heat will end up. And the smaller holes get clogged very easily when doing Butts etc.

Mine never looked that clean, as you can see it has had a lot of action and I scrap it as well. I find depending on where/how you place the hot coals into the basket depends on how even the heat will end up. And the smaller holes get clogged very easily when doing Butts etc.

I had some of that same crust on mine which I scraped off. I am thinking mine hasn't been used nearly as much as yours. I bet I have only got 6-8 smokes on it since I added it to my arsenal.

You could have some merit to thinking that bark is a bit softer. My thought is that using the diffuser allows the drippings to sit on the pan and "steam" adding moisture to the pit. As opposed to the drippings falling into the fire and burning away rather quickly..
How is your exhaust set up?

Mine has a 3" exhaust in the center. My buddy has a bunch of exhaust holes around the parameter. Neither of us use a diffuser but we have talked about it. Bark is a big deal, and I wouldn't add a diffuser if it messes up the bark

It is the way to go on a setup like mine which uses 2 racks when you want to use the bottom rack. If you use the bottom rack without a diffuser you will likely burn your meat. On super bowl sunday I did 3 butts on the top rack and 3 1/2 hours before they were done I slapped a pair of rib racks right in the middle of the butts in the center of the rack. I didn't check them soon enough and they got rather cripsy. The diffuser "may" have helped in this situation but so would not forgetting to check the meat at an appropriate time lol. I have no solid answer of whether to use one or not but one thing is for sure when I do my 12 lb brisket HNF in a little over a week the diffuser will most likely not be in there as I am starting to believe the bark is not as good. Before I started using a diffuser all my fatties had great bark. Since I have started using one every single fatty I have done has been "wet". Even after sitting in the fridge all night they appear as if they have "sauce" on them even though it is just dry rub.

I use a terra cotta saucer. I may have upgraded the airflow by leaving it down where the dogs could reach it though. It's broken in half. I just set it in there with about an inch gap between the two pieces and it seems to work fine. I get a good firm bark.

Frankly, I have no problem with a softer bark so long as the rub is set. I really don't like rock hard thick bark. I have done both in my UDS's and much prefer the diffuser.

CMR you're blocking direct heat the way your diffuser is designed....you're missing that direct radiant energy coming through.

I'm confident more holes over your charcoal basket area will improve your bark. I have similar diffusers in all my smokers and no problem with bark, i even get great crispy chicken.

That is a photo after scraping the heavy stuff off :becky: I'm going to have to make a new one soon as it has really taken a beating and bends sooo easily I can not scrape it with a lot of effort. After smoking butts the coating will be at least 1/2 inch think covering some of the holes. Chickens not quite as heavy.

Back