Selling BBQ Sauce?

kevine

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I started making my own sauce (who hasn't, right) about 6 years ago. When I first started, I rarely gave any away. A few years ago, I learned how to properly can and preserve (a friend actually has a certificate of "master canner"... :clap:).

I ended up making a few dozen pint-sized jars for the holidays and gave them away as gifts. All properly canned, etc. Well, I'm getting orders for it now. At first, I just made four jars at a time and gave it away. When it was requested that I bring some to my kids' YMCA fundraising BBQ, I decided to charge, $4 a jar.

When my co-workers recently asked, I said $6 a jar and got no hesitation. I think my actual cost with jar (Smart and Final) is about $3-$4/jar, not including my time. Anyone here (not the pros), researched the process of selling? I'm considering a local Facebook buy/sell site for now, but maybe hitting the local farmer's market???

Any thoughts? And if I did the farmer's market, would you bring a small grill (smokey joe) and make wings or bite-sized pieces of CSR for people to sample?

Or should I just keep it to my close friends/family and keep charging $6/jar. I know it's expensive compared to commercial sauce, but at that price point, I think I'm losing money when you factor in the time it takes. It's not easy to make the sauce AND properly can it!!

We have our own sauce. Started getting it produced in 2011. PM me with any questions. We currently sell in tradeshows, internet and we're in all the Kroger stores in Shreveport/Bossier City.

Glad to hear safe canning practices but most HD's frown upon residential kitchens for commercial food prep.

I'm sure a license from the health department or dept. of agriculture is necessary even to sell at a farmer's market

I sell ribs at a farmer's market. There are a lot of hoops you have to jump through before selling anything. Health dept, insurance, commercial kitchen, business and sales tax license (the state has to get their cut right?)....there's way more to it than you think. California like all states has their own rules. Swing down to the local HD and pick their brains....they are actually very helpful....if you speak with the right person....

Yeah, I'm looking into a food handler's permit, insurance, commercial kitchen rental and outsourcing the bottling/jarring. Also re-seller's permit. Bamabuzzard, thanks for the offer, I will be PM'ing you once I know for sure I want to make the investment. I've given a few jars to a friend of mine. Her husband works for a large commercial food company that has purchased a sauce before. I'm trying to get them to buy my recipe... We'll see about that

The other option which bypasses SOME of the legal issues is find a co-packer to make and bottle the sauce. You should be able to find one that provided confidentiality agreements to protect your recipe and all. Then you could sell it.

Might cut into the bottom line or might make the bottom line stronger depending on how much you can order at one shot. The co-packer will generally get a better deal on the cost of goods to help drive the bottom line down.

Just a thought. DISCLAIMER: I have loads of business experience but not in the food or food processing industries.

Back