Open Fire BBQ Ideas

Mattb82

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Going on a vacation with the in laws to lake George next month and want to BBQ something over a fire pit. I can take some metal stakes and a fire grate. Any ideas? Never cooked over an fire before. Brisket, pork butt?

Chicken halves love real fire.
Bone side down over a heat that your hand can stand for 1-2-3.
Spuds wrapped in foil beside the fire edge, most vegetables like being cooked in a foil wrap actually.
Sausages,
look up Cowgirls posts, the queen of Live fire

Steaks, chops, spatchcoked chicken, and pork loin love a nice fire or a nice bed of coals. Kabobs and sausages are also a great item to cook over the coals. Take a cast iron dutch oven with you as well for stews and chili. Take a good instant read thermometer with you for food safety if you haven't cooked over a fire before.

Have a great time and keep us posted....

Steak, sausage (gets a nice crisp/snap to it). I love doing asparagus wrapped in bacon. Yukon golds in foil. (Add fresh herbs) There is nothing better than cooking over fire IMO.

Stick to simple, things don't don't require cooking to tenderize.....don't mess with a brisket or butt.

Going on a vacation with the in laws to lake George next month and want to BBQ something over a fire pit. I can take some metal stakes and a fire grate. Any ideas? Never cooked over an fire before. Brisket, pork butt?

I would say bone in Rib Eyes

Side note: make sure you check out the Log Jam restaurant while you're there. Great Prime Rib.

Tri-tip, some corn in foil down and dirty, and something sweet in the Dutch Oven.

Anything, and everything!

5887576013_eb76504476_b.jpg

5651609393_7fe7312a00_b.jpg

7296004946_4227d78ec4_b.jpg

9127980979_62bc292194_b.jpg

9584397392_ed0f02f8a2_b.jpg

My wife likes to do hobo burgers, version are thin sliced potatos and onions as a bace then cheese then a hamburger patty salt and pepper wrapped in a tight foil packet.

Back