• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

DoctorCueNC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hi just wondering what the thoughts would be on a situation that may occur. If you did a contest where all that was given was the money cash/check at awards would you possibly print out and frame your own certificate just if you wanted something to display as a memento? Or would you only have something if it was expressly given by the competition? I'm not saying make a trophy or anything just like a dollar store frame and a word document certificate. Thanks for opinions.

I have made trophies for myself in the past when there wasnt a trophy given and I wanted one. I have duplicated trophies when we were competing as a team and I wanted a copy of the trophy.

Point being who cares? It's your money and your house at that point.

Also I would much rather have a gold plastic pig trophy than a word document in a cheap frame displayed in my house or garage.

Trophies are also pretty cheap when you just want one.

I figured that was the case, but being fairly new to actually starting to win some things I didn't want to mess with any unspoken etiquette of competition BBQ.

Ya if you want to make one go ahead. No harm there. I used to keep track of things in excel, but now there have sites that do all that work. Hope you get some hardware soon!

Your scenario is fine. It's when a primarily vending-only team makes up trophies and banners that are nowhere near true and displays them, then we have a problem.

I totally agree with this.

We were going to print ribbons that said 150th brisket, 100th pork, etc for the last American royal. Turns out Those fancy ribbons are too expensive for a gag.

Really the best trophies are your memories. If you have access to any photos of the moment frame them up as a reminder.

For such things, I actually prefer to have some memento(s). This can be a stick, rock, flyer, or even a rib bone. Sometimes we will hang these on the wall or my wife has made a few memory boxes mixed with pictures. Another thing we will do is make Christmas ornaments out of them. Our Christmas tree is one giant set of memories of trips and experiences. The nice thing is that you take them out and talk about them every year, so they don't lose their luster sitting on the shelf.

As long as I am getting paid I could care less about whether or not i get a trophy

Back