• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Butt

BigTSmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How do you cook a butt for a competition? I currently rub and smoke till the meat is around 195*. The only problem is that the whole butt pulls apart at that temp and I always see teams putting slices and pulled in their box. How do you cook a but so there is meat to pull and meat to slice?

Dawg is pulling your leg. Its not Magic, add some pixie dust in the rub.

Try a lower finishing temp. See what 190 does for you. Should be able to slice the money muscle and still get chunks from around the butt.

Rules allow you to part the money muscle from the rest of the butt at a lower internal temp and return the rest of the butt to the cooker to reach 195 or higher. This allows the MM to be tender and be sliced without falling apart.

There are a few different ways to go about cooking a pork butt that fits a particular style. However starting in 2014 the KCBS pork rule allowed to remove the Money Muscle after it is cooked. There is a lot of debate as to "what is cooked" and if this is lazy. But for simplicity sake. Cook the Money Muscle to the temp you want, I like 200-205* More by feel than temp but I do temp it as well. Separate MM wrap in foil and hold. Put the rest of pork butt back on cooker until desired temp.

I have heard of folks butterflying butts so that the whole butt is the same size as the money muscle in order to cook at the same rate...hey...ya never know! :becky:

Lots of folks will trim out the money muscle, but leave it attached and cook it to a separate temperature. Then remove it and finish cooking the rest of the butt.

I think you should take me up on my offer and make a twenty minute drive and let me share what little I know about comp cooking.:thumb:
I think INmitch shoiuld take a ride to his old stomping grounds (Pickford) and show me a thing or two.......:biggrin1:

Back