I am stalled again on pork shoulder picnic roast

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It is stalling again but I am going to keep going. I am out of foil so this is going to be an old school foil free pork shoulder picnic. It's still chugging along just fine but the thing just won't hit the right internal temp and I have a thermapen so I know it is correct. Got to be a second stall. I have not eaten all day and I am still waiting. This is crazy and I am at 17 hours of smoking. Did you ever think that the reason pork shoulders taste so good is because you are starving when it is done? I think it helps that you starve a bit. Lol

Put the spurs to that thing, get er done.

17 hours, are you cooking at 225°F still?

or did you forget to remove the rest of the pig?

What temp are you at? What temp are you cooking at? How big is the butt?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSdu9Zw6R54"]Turn Up The Radio- Autograph - YouTube[/ame]

keep-calm-and-crank-it-up.png

I've heard it. That doesn't change the fact that if your internal temp is 160 you got a long way to go. You'll probably pull it between 195-205.

6.70 lbs and yeah the temp is about 225-250 at the dome. It has been running like a champ all day and all night. It has happened rarely to me. It seems to be when the I smoke on this WSM of mine that it's very slow and I mean by low and slow standards it is even slower. It is 14.5" WSM. Outside temp is 27 degrees. I think I prefer my pellet grill as it is so much less work.

You can't go by dome temp. You could be cooking 50-75 degree lower at the grate. I'd open those vents up and let it go

You are way low, 225°F dome in a WSM often means 215°F or even lower at the grate. That is why it takes so long.

225 + constantly checking = forever.

Also I'm sure you've heard this but don't cook to internal temp.... blah blah blah

I have only checked a couple times hours in between as normally I know when it should be about done but this one goes against everything I thought I knew about bbq. It is nothing like any one I have ever cooked. It is driving me nuts lol. I always seem to work hard with this little WSM. I will break this beast if it kills me. I tell you I think the 14.5" must be harder to run than the larger ones. I can't wait until refund season maybe a pellet conversion is in order or a stoker.

You may not even have 200F at the cooking grate meaning there is no way you will ever make it there! When it is cold out you will lose so much heat. I always run the dome temperature around 50F higher than what I want to be cooking at. Dome temperature gets all the hot gases hitting it from all sides and reads hotter as the gases are trying to escape out the vent.

What landarc said. Plus those cheapo dial therms (not good ones like river country or tel-tru) can be off be as much as 50*. That means you could be stuck at 180 or 190 because that how hot your cooking.

This is why pitmaster T and others have suggested 275 for rookies. It gives you more margin for error. If you go super low and you're 15 or so degrees off. ....... well you know.

Actually, as one of those "others", I recommend 275°F because it gives a far better result in a small cooker. My experience being only mine, I feel the cook goes better, you get better bark and texture by going hotter in a small cooker, and there is far less chance to something going wrong with the shorter length of time.

Not at all the same in a large cooker, especially an offset cooker, where the air flow is totally different.

I remember when I didn't know any better and thought bbq was done at 250. I thought I was being sneaky by bumping to 275.

You are way low, 225°F dome in a WSM often means 215°F or even lower at the grate. That is why it takes so long.

Really? Well that's good to know thanks. Well that explains a lot. I opened the vents wide open to raise the temp. Hopefully we can get this finished tonight.

Really? Well that's good to know thanks. Well that explains a lot. I opened the vents wide open to raise the temp. Hopefully we can get this finished tonight.

Rusty, it might shock you to know that some people smoke their butts at 300 or even higher. It's not a problem as long as you have some kind of heat deflector to block the radiant heat.

I have done hot and fast butts before. I just normally cook on kettles and with a pellet grill. I picked this WSM for $75 on discount at walmart. I like my kettles best but the pellet grill fits my busy life with long hours at work. The WSM well it just to cheap not to bring home.

More than once I've finished in the oven or indirect on the gasser. Wrap in foil, put in 300* oven until its done. It has already absorbed the smoke.

Ken

More than once I've finished in the oven or indirect on the gasser. Wrap in foil, put in 300* oven until its done. It has already absorbed the smoke.

Ken

I haven't got foil we are out and I have never finished with an oven. It will be fine plus my pulled pork off this thing is amazing when it comes off this thing it just takes forever.

Back