Sushi! (pr0n)

buccaneer

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Got some nice seafood and felt the need for more Japanese.
Made sushi rice. Cooled it .
Placed it on nori sheets and made
IMG_1053_zps46171c20.jpg

California rolls!

IMG_1056_zps52526d07.jpg

Also some Miso Shiru.

Thanks Brethren.
:yo:

Looks great as always, Buccs! Have you tried doing Spicy Tuna rolls? I like them best w/o mayo and hot sesame oil as the heat source...

Looks great Buccs, I haven't made sushi in awhile... thanks for the inspiration!

Looks great as always, Buccs! Have you tried doing Spicy Tuna rolls? I like them best w/o mayo and hot sesame oil as the heat source...

Tell me more, Moose:pray:
Which tuna is used in them?
Haven't seen hot sesame oil ?
Sounds fantastic to me!:pray:

For the spicy tuna roll it is extremely common for sriacha to be the heat source. I am not sure I have had it any other way.

Real nice. Stupid question, do you have to buy sushi meat that will be consumed raw at a special market? Wife and I really like sushi, I'd be more popular if I could make sushi at home.

It looks great but I wouldn't eat it. SORRY.

I hate sushi.

Tell me more, Moose:pray:
Which tuna is used in them?
Haven't seen hot sesame oil ?
Sounds fantastic to me!:pray:

Usually ahi tuna, raw of course. We also like to do it lightly seared like this, also covered with the sesame chili oil, ponzu, jalapenos, and cilantro:

IMG_4201.jpg

Cook thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104944

Here's an amazon link to the sesame chili oil:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dynasty-Sesame-Chili-Oil-3-5z/dp/B00013WX74/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1419120566&sr=1-1&keywords=sesame+chili+oil"]Amazon.com : Dynasty Sesame Chili Oil 3.5z : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418p9a2gKQL.@@AMEPARAM@@418p9a2gKQL[/ame]

You must get some sesame chili oil, Buccs. It's an exquisite taste experience! There are other hot asian oils out there, but sesame is best!

Thanks Moose.
This I do, but haven't used spiced up tuna in a roll yet.
It will be hard, considering how much I love the original Japanese style...

I'll search out this oil!:thumb:

Thanks Moose.
This I do, but haven't used spiced up tuna in a roll yet.
It will be hard, considering how much I love the original Japanese style...

I'll search out this oil!:thumb:

You must let me know how you like it! As haveuseen mentioned, sriracha and mayo is the way it's traditionally done, but after I had it with the hot sesame chili oil with no mayo, I won't have it any other way. Your post has inspired me to take The Missus for sushi tonight, thanks! (and to a place that uses hot sesame chili oil in their spicy tuna rolls, of course.)

:biggrin1:

Beautiful as always. Ive ate sushi at an all you can eat asian buffet before. Probably not my best decision and for me thats saying something as ive done some sketchy chit.

Not at all bad Gaijin!

Oh, spicy tuna roll, think maguro cut into small chunks (not minced, minced is disgusting), then tossed with finely minced (not chopped, chopped is disgusting) scallion and dressed with rayu oil. I assume you make your own rayu oil.

Sushi can be anything from California Rolls to raw tuna shrimp, etc, sashimi, maki.
I only make it w/ tuna I personally catch and care for.
You can go to a sushi market and examine the meat yourself to decide
if it looks good. It's EZ to see the high quality you want, harder to pay for it.

Real nice. Stupid question, do you have to buy sushi meat that will be consumed raw at a special market? Wife and I really like sushi, I'd be more popular if I could make sushi at home.
Thanks bro!

That's a smart question.
I have a pretty good seafood market that has sashimi quality fish. That doesn't mean it is sold there, it isn't, and it isn't killed and treated the same as Japanese standards but it IS completely fine to prepare and eat raw.
Ask a trusted fishmonger.

Same with meats, go to a butcher that breaks down whole animals and they will be able to get you fresh meat that is best for eating raw.
I trim the finest outer layer before using.

Get into it, you won't regret it!

Back