• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Westmont Red, White, & BBQ

Stoke&Smoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Not quite under 30 days so no roll call:rolleyes:

Just go our packet for this one. Something new afoot. Apparently, the Westmont comp will be one of 9 this summer across the country. The judge packet says, if you indicate you're cooking in the Ranchers Reserve cup, you will get a 10-15 lb. brisket complements of Ranchers Reserve Beef.

Anyone heard of this before?

I emailed Jim and Chris, the organizers for more info.

I believe one was Stagecoach? The otrher for sure is DC...

They have been working on this for a while now Dann. They had asked me if I thought teams would be interested. I said to put a carrot out there and let the teams decide... I hope other teams do it. It's stuff like this that makes or breaks contests...

There are a few other different things that are going on this year. But I don't think they are ready to release that info yet... Our next committee meeting is 5/3...

Something new afoot. Apparently, the Westmont comp will be one of 9 this summer across the country. The judge packet says, if you indicate you're cooking in the Ranchers Reserve cup, you will get a 10-15 lb. brisket complements of Ranchers Reserve Beef.
Can some one fill me in on the Ranchers Reserve? I've re-read the packet a couple of times and maybe I'm missing something but I'm just not getting it.... If we say yes, are we only allowed to cook the one brisket? I mean I like the idea of extra cash but not with a product I've never used that could cost me overall...:confused:

I plan to cook the ranchers reserve brisket, along with my other briskets, and turn in the rancher's reserve.

I plan to cook the ranchers reserve brisket, along with my other briskets, and turn in the rancher's reserve.
If all you are going to turn in is the Rancher's Reserve, why cook the others?

I Guess that's my point, is the RR Brisket the only one we are allowed to turn in?

If you want to be in the Rancher's Reserve contest you cook and turn in their brisket. Jim will be passing them out on Saturday morning. The lack of rules is not really in the organizers lap on this. It's the lack of rules from Rancher's Reserve or KCBS whomever makes them.

If you want to be in the Rancher's Reserve contest you cook and turn in their brisket. Jim will be passing them out on Saturday morning. The lack of rules is not really in the organizers lap on this. It's the lack of rules from Rancher's Reserve or KCBS whomever makes them.
If that is the case, I think we'll more than likely pass on the Ranchers Reserve. Being able to only do one brisket, let alone one that I don't get to pick, and from a supplier that I've never used before is more of a risk than I'm willing to take.

Please don't get me wrong, again, I'm all for more money at the end of a walk, but to risk the overall for an unknown amount just doesn't seem worth it for me...

I guess I need to know what e actually get before I can decide. The letter says "10-15 pounds of brisket". It doesn't say if that is one 10-15 lb. packer, two 5-7.5 lb flats, three 4 lb. flats, etc. Unless they can tell me up front what I will receive, I can even consider it. Like Dive, I'm all for extra cash, but not if it jeopardizes my shot as the GC.

I Guess that's my point, is the RR Brisket the only one we are allowed to turn in?
and how would they know its RR being turned in if you did cook others along with it ?

and how would they know its RR being turned in if you did cook others along with it ?
What you have to do is mark it with a brand that goes across all of the slices and that brand has to have your team name on it... I don't think KCBS would have any issues would they?:confused:

(I'm just kidding and now running for cover!!!!)

They could tag it... Then have a brisket police come to see you do your turn in.... Of course, I do not know any of that info first hand...

I also asked for my briskets now, so I could start aging them...

Why not just have them send them to all the teams in the mail... At least every one would have the same chance... Your's should be sent via New Mexico so you have the same chances as every one else since you live close by....

I think Jim said it's pretty much the honor system. I was going to bring a back up, just in case I don't like the looks of what they give me. It might DQ you from the ranchers reserve piece, but not the KCBS.

If I don't use my back up, it'll stay in the cryo and go in the freezer for next time.

I would think though, that if they want folks to use it, they would be giving out decent briskets. It wouldn't be the best advertising for them if none of theirs placed, would it?

Thanks, Dann...

I sure hope that the date for Westmont is wrong in the Ranchers Reserve info! if not, we're going to have to finish up at the Dells and hightail it down to Westmont! :-D

So do you think it is legal to cook one of my own briskets, along with the ranchers reserve, and turn in whatever is best? Or do you need to commit upfront that you will turn in the ranchers reserve brisket. The way I cook, I'm lucky to get one of the two to turn out. I'd be pretty concerned only cooking one brisket, especially a brand/grade I've never used.

So do you think it is legal to cook one of my own briskets, along with the ranchers reserve, and turn in whatever is best? Or do you need to commit upfront that you will turn in the ranchers reserve brisket. The way I cook, I'm lucky to get one of the two to turn out. I'd be pretty concerned only cooking one brisket, especially a brand/grade I've never used.

Sounds familiar...

If that is the case, I think we'll more than likely pass on the Ranchers Reserve. Being able to only do one brisket, let alone one that I don't get to pick, and from a supplier that I've never used before is more of a risk than I'm willing to take.

Please don't get me wrong, again, I'm all for more money at the end of a walk, but to risk the overall for an unknown amount just doesn't seem worth it for me...

Back