KCBS Team of Year bonus points drops again to 25 teams

8,573 teams have cooked. 30 cooked more than 25.....120 in 15-24 and 189 in 10-14

so 339 cooked more than ten that's .0395 percent of the total....

curiosity factor -- The KCBS web site only list 2,832 teams with TOY points which are awarded just for showing up. Where did these numbers come from?

Another interesting number is if KCBS has a purported membership of 20,199 as reported in the November BOD meeting and has 2,832 members with toy points as reported on KCBS web site, then that means that only 14% of the KCBS membership are active cooks who cooked at least one contest for the 2015 year. Just looking at the numbers, probably only 10% of the membership cooked more than one contest during the same time period.

Another interesting number is if KCBS has a purported membership of 20,199 as reported in the November BOD meeting and has 2,832 members with toy points as reported on KCBS web site, then that means that only 14% of the KCBS membership are active cooks who cooked at least one contest for the 2015 year. Just looking at the numbers, probably only 10% of the membership cooked more than one contest during the same time period.

TOY points only go to the head cook. So if a team has multiple members (e.g. there are four KCBS members associated with my team), then the percentages/numbers do not play out as you described.

TOY points only go to the head cook. So if a team has multiple members (e.g. there are four KCBS members associated with my team), then the percentages/numbers do not play out as you described.

I stand corrected.

In the area that I compete, a high percentage of the teams are composed of 2 people. If they have family memberships then yes, 2 of the team may be members. Examples of these are American Dream, Pellet Envy, Butcher, Little Pig Town, Parrott Heat, etc. With this in mind then the numbers are 25% and 20% or less.

Before Strength of Schedule becomes the next savior of comp BBQ can someone explain to me how that will be done. In principle I think it's great. We aren't talking about a 32 team league, with set divisions and conferences. We are talking about KCBS with open contests, and teams that aren't tracked which impact each and every contest. We don't have a set schedule, etc.

Clearly somebody has thought about it, and/or discussed it. Beyond a talking point, what's the plan?

Your right not everyone is going to agree so nothing will be done. Just like regional representation and the issues pointed out in judging. Add Team of the Year program to the list of things no board will touch. :tsk:

Your right not everyone is going to agree so nothing will be done. Just like regional representation and the issues pointed out in judging. Add Team of the Year program to the list of things no board will touch. :tsk:

Uhm, OK? I just wanted to know if anyone had actually developed a system for SoS that would work for KCBS. Sagarin's system for football, which lends itself to that sort of thing much better than competition BBQ, is pretty complex.

I'm in the 25+ contest bucket. I would have guessed there were more than 30 teams in this category, but I guess not.

For context we are not in the TOY running, but we do look at TOY as a metric to see how we are doing (are we better this year than last year), however now that I'm thinking about it I'm not sure that is an accurate reflection. I know with 100% certainty I am a better cook today than I was 12 months ago but our TOY position doesn't reflect that.

We do not take TOY points into account when selecting contest. If we were in the running that might be a different story though. I suspect that would be the cast for a lot of team, if you are a few points away from moving up why wouldn't to pick a contest that gives you an opertunity to do that. My guess is this has a minimal impact on who is picking to go to what contest.

I'm not sure how I feel about the 10 points between places idea. Right now I could tie for 4th and loose a coin and get 25 TOY points less than the guy in 4th. I could have beat the 6th place team by several points but only get 10 TOY points more than them. Is getting 4th place really worth 2.5x the amount as 5th place? With how tight scoring is these days I think a linear difference in TOY points is probably more reflective to the difference in scoring.

Uhm, OK? I just wanted to know if anyone had actually developed a system for SoS that would work for KCBS. Sagarin's system for football, which lends itself to that sort of thing much better than competition BBQ, is pretty complex.

I clicked the wrong post on my phone to quote. I agree with you BTW. Haha..
. I'll pray for anyone willing to undertake devising and coding a strength of schedule system.

curiosity factor -- The KCBS web site only list 2,832 teams with TOY points which are awarded just for showing up. Where did these numbers come from?

I don't think that 8.5k number is right either, so the stated percentage is too low. I would agree that TOY is only relevant as a ranking system to teams that cook 10 or more.

Thanks to Dave Compton for a rule requiring proposed rule changes to be published a minimum of 10 days prior to the meeting to allow for member comment.

If you want the board to know how you feel about an issue, email them. There isn't always time to visit forums or to scan Facebook. When there is time there isn't always time to read each post. I made the time to read every email I received. Just a suggestion.

OK the numbers I have have been scoured and they are fairly
accurate.
39 teams cooked 25 or more
119 cooked 15-24
195 10-14
617 5-9
6,114 cooked 1-4
7,083 total cooks I know its off by 1 but it is duplicate name we couldn't catch without hours invested
With two comps left there are 742 fewer teams competing in 2015 from 2014

IN the 1-4 cooks there are roughly 904 fewer teams than 2013

There were 47 more contests in 2015 over 2013.

They kept the tiebreaker that I think is wrong. The new spread is awful.

They rescinded the spread between places. Everything is the same as last year except the overall method of tiebreaker which makes no sense at all.

Did you happen to look at the average number of teams per contest minus the Royal Open?

With 47 more comps and less cooks, I'm curious as to what the average is this year.

OK the numbers I have have been scoured and they are fairly
accurate.
39 teams cooked 25 or more
119 cooked 15-24
195 10-14
617 5-9
6,114 cooked 1-4
7,083 total cooks I know its off by 1 but it is duplicate name we couldn't catch without hours invested

Great number crunching, but I would think that a % of the the 1-4 teams that has been lost, didn't quit cooking. I would bet that some stepped up their game and went to the next level. Sterling, we have talked in the past about this and you have good ideas to help this. Maybe at some point they will be able to be used in real world.

I scare them....hahahahahah

David as I mentioned above there are less teams cooking overall between 2013 to 2014

there were a few more but not enough.....

Did you happen to look at the average number of teams per contest minus the Royal Open?

With 47 more comps and less cooks, I'm curious as to what the average is this year.

This is a fairly accurate number as of todays date:
21 International contest with 570 entrants with an average of 27.143 per contest
10 Canadian contests with 226 entrants with an average of 22.6 per contest
437 US contests with 17133 entrants with an average of 39.206 per contest (this includes the AR open)
436 US contests with 16527 entrants with an average of 37.906 per contest (this excludes the AR open)

These numbers exclude the Invites, Backyards & Competitor Series but do include the Sam's

Last edited:
Back