Firing Up My Gravity Feed Smoker

IZEE

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Newbie to the forums here. I've been a backyard stick burner for about a decade now and recently upgraded to a gravity feed smoker. The smoker is awesome and built solid like a tank. My question has to do with getting the lump charcoal lit and firing up the smoker. I must be doing something wrong here because I am getting a ton of heavy charcoal smoke whenever I start up the smoker and it usually lasts for a few hours. I have to open the door every so often just to let some of the charcoal smoke out and it plumes out big time. When I start the lump charcoal I fill the charcoal chute with the amount of lump charcoal I plan to use for the cook and close the lid. I then use my propane torch and get the coals lit from underneath in the firebox then close the firebox door and let the bbq guru take over - but when I do this for the next few hours there is just thick charcoal smoke coming out of the smoker. My question is what am I doing wrong? Do I need to leave the top of the charcoal chute open until the coals are really going and there is no more smoke? Am I not torching the coals for long enough from underneath in the firebox? They light up pretty quick so I usually only torch them for a few minutes top. Should I keep the cook chamber door open as well while the coals fire up? Any advice/help would be super appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
This is how I light my Assassin GF. I start with the chute door, firebox door, cook chamber door & stack all wide open. I use a handheld torch & let it run until I have thick smoke coming out the top of the chute. I stop the torch & I leave everything wide open until I can feel heat at the top of the chute then I close the chute & main door. I leave the firebox door open slightly & start my Pitmaster IQ. After a few mins when the chamber temp starts rising steady, I close the firebox door. By the time I reach my target temp, I have thin, clean smoke. I am generally ready to put meat on in 45 mins to an hour.

on my Stump's I had I have the charcoal chute open and main door closed and then light the charcoal through the grate in several places with a small torch . I left the main chamber door closed because it seemed to help draw the heat in and warm the main chamber quicker , when I feel some good heat coming off the chute I close it and start the guru up and close the firebox door . It usually comes up to temp in about 45 minutes to a hour , hope this helps .

It could also be the lump. I have used some lump that took a long time to go from billowing grey to thin blue smoke.

Right now, I'm using KBB in my Assassin...no problems getting it thin and blue.

You might try starting with a full chimney of lit charcoal, then fill the chute up with the unlit. This is how I start mine

Back