• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What charcoal are you using?

kaseytavel

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I used to use the Sam's brand that was available at Wal-Mart, but I haven't seen it there in a couple years now, so I'm guessing they don't make it anymore. I think they had Royal Oak make it, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I'm mostly using RO now, but I'm curious...what is everybody using?

Royal Oak lump and Stubbs briquettes

I bought a bunch of stubbs briquettes when lowes had it on sale in the summer. I don't like it. I prefer royal oak briquettes.

Cowboy Lump. Got it on sale earlier this year and bought 340 lbs. Going thru the last of it now. I like the 34 lb bags.

Was using Primo lump. Surprisingly happy now with Kingsford Lump Briquettes (Mesquite). There was a fine sale on this stuff and I needed some so I tried it. The wood in it was pretty useless, but I have big chunks for that anyway. Burns long and consistent, very little mess. No small pieces to fall through the chimney and burn my deck.

Royal Oak Lump and Stubbs

Royal oak lump and currently char-broil center cut lump because it's on sale

I'm cheap so I buy up Royal Oak lump, Cowboy Lump, Stubbs briqs and Kingsford Bluebag, but whichever is on sale.

If I had a bigger budget I would go with Wicked Good Weekend Warrior or Kamado Joe lump.

If I could find it locally I would go with Carbon del Sur

Royal Oak lump in the Stumps and Tank.

KBB in the WSM and Spicewine. Also use that as the base to kick things off in the Shirley.

KBB for the kettle, Royal Oak lump for WSM minion coals.

Back