Enhanced pork butt or not?

wrinklenuts

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've only smoked all natural Boston butts from seaboard farms in the past. The local grocery store has Smithfield always tender butts for .99 cents per pound. Is it worth trying or will I be disappointed? Do they taste different? Salty?
Thanks!

I've only smoked all natural Boston butts from seaboard farms in past. The local grocery store has Smithfield always tender butts for .99 cents per pound. Is it worth trying or will I be disappointed? Do they taste different? Salty?
Thanks!

Some say they taste a bit "hammy"

They are ok...for PP...not so for sausage. Yeh kinda hammy pretty much describes it.

AllDay Long.........I'd buy 10.

And get some PlowBoys Yardbird........

I've only smoked all natural Boston butts from seaboard farms in the past. The local grocery store has Smithfield always tender butts for .99 cents per pound. Is it worth trying or will I be disappointed? Do they taste different? Salty?
Thanks!
Some can tell the difference, others can't. I just don't like paying the same price per pound for the solution as I do the meat.
If you are dousing the meat with sauce, finishing sauce, and/or a heavy rub, it makes less of a difference.

I find that most of our local Kroger pork is enhanced. I have seen between 3 and 20 %. Less than 8% is OK. More is hammy. I had one at 22% and it smelled like bacon as it cooked.

Personally, I buy ham when I want ham and prefer less altered pork.

My Walmart has less enhanced pork than Kroger

I love the Kroger butts just make sure to use a rub with less salt in it. I Alos like to smoke them with Mesquite to take away the "hammy" taste.

Kroger & Wally World butts are "enhanced". I can't tell the difference between those and the ones that come from the slaughter house.

Y'all Need to buy Better Hams. A Good Country Ham is the exact opposite of an enhanced butt, it's Salt cured to REDUCE moisture content by 27%.......

Y'all Need to buy Better Hams. A Good Country Ham is the exact opposite of an enhanced butt, it's Salt cured to REDUCE moisture content by 27%.......
"Hammy" is not the same as tasting like a ham. It's more like artificial ham flavored.

If you are fortunate to have a Publix grocery store nearby, they have fresh meat that is NOT enhanced....good stuff! Great supermarket!

Back