Sam's Club Electricity Question

Full Draw BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is an odd but necessary question for us, as we have rented a camper multiple years to do "big" BBQ contests, and the sam's club is on that list. We rent a "typical" 28" pull behind trailer, but when we get to every comp that we have the trailer, there is an adapter that all the teams have, to plug into the central electricity provided. It's a yellow pigtail plug, about a foot long.......I saw them at Cabela's, and went to buy one for $15-$20.....BUT there were multiple choices to adapt too......if that makes any sense. Does anyone know what we need to toss in our BBQ box to make sure we have the adapter needed at comps, or is this a case by case deal?

Thanks so much.

Mike

I carry a 4 prong 50 amp to 30 amp three receptacle and also a 30 amp three prong to a 20 amp receptacle. The Sam's I have been to only had 20 amp service and not good at that. Portable generators were used to service contestants. You can buy these at Walmart.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Camco-55233-Electrical-PowerGrip-Adapter/dp/B00192QB3I#"]Amazon.com: Camco 55233 30 AMP Male / 15 AMP Female Electrical PowerGrip Adapter: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31P7gNV%2BvOL.@@AMEPARAM@@31P7gNV%2BvOL[/ame]

You want the reverse. Need the 30amp female to male
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Voltec-16-00502-15-30-Adapter-E-ZEE/dp/B004ZMUKH2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1425631737&sr=8-6&keywords=30+amp+female+rv+plug"]Amazon.com : Voltec 16-00502 15-30 Amp Adapter with E-ZEE Grip : Extension Cords : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41z-6JtXUZL.@@AMEPARAM@@41z-6JtXUZL[/ame]

And expect your ac to blow the breaker. At least during the day when most people are also attempting to run theirs :-D

This is the one I have. Only $6 at Walmart and it has a LED built in to let you know power is on.

k2-_c418b3e9-a26b-4e0a-ac87-155c169bb558.v1.jpg

They are only set up for 20 amp service.
Quote from last years welcome letter.
"Each team will receive a dedicated 20-amp circuit for power. Power on begins

Friday at NOON and will be turned off after the awards ceremony on Saturday.

Please be aware of your amp draw. If you overload the 20-amp circuit, you will

cause power issues that will affect other teams. Do not plug in to the 30-amp

twist lock on the spider boxes. Be aware that most RV’s draw more than 20-

amps of power with air conditioners running. You are welcome to bring your own

generators. Please place portable generators in a location that creates as little

noise to your neighbors as possible."

Do not plug in to the 30-amp twist lock on the spider boxes.

Because they are generally 220v and will make a very interesting blue flash when connected to a 115v trailer.
I saw a guy try this, and luckily, (VERY LUCKILY), it burned off one of the prongs before he got it locked in. Scary.

Answer: all of them. :becky:

I carry around a box of adapters, because you never know what you will find. I have had to hook in to spider boxe twist locks before, but my setup can handle the voltage. I have run 50 to 50 setups, 30 to 15, 30 to 30, 50 to 15, 30 to 15, etc. I would avoid hooking into a twist lock, as they are really intended for daisy chaining spider boxes to generators.

My RV will take up to 50 amps, but I can also run on 3 amps of power at a contest if that's what they have, so I have adapters to plug in to 50, 30, and 15, and up converting adapters to present 15, 30, or 50 to the RV.

A true 20 amp connector looks like a 15 amp plug but with a "t" on one of the prongs. To avoid carrying even more adapters, I don't have a 20 amp adapter as a 15 amp plug will fit. I do, however, have a very heavy extension cord that can handle 30 amps...even though it's sporting 15 amp connectors on the end. I use that at contests where I have 15 or 20 amp connections. I also carry 50 amp and 30 amp extension cords.

For Sam's (or The American Royal, which also gives you 20 amps) I plug in the heavy duty cord into the Sam's power, and then the 15 to 30 and 30 to 50 connectors on the RV side.

Be sure to use a cord than can handle 20 amps if you are running an AC unit. Even though the 20 amp plugs will accept a 15 amp plug in, the cord might be a fire risk. Be sure your cord is 12 gauge or smaller. (Smaller gauges are bigger sizes, don't ask me why. :becky:) If your trailer has more than one AC unit, pick your favorite. You won't be able to run more than one on 20 amps.

Back