Backyard Bro's 1st year is in the books

Backyardbros

Reaction score
Backyard Bro's have completed their 1st year in the competition bbq world. It was a lot harder and more expensive than I would have ever thought. We've had some disappointment and success. We've received our share of calls for a 1st year pro team. We've also received our share of ass kicking's. We started off with a 6x12 cargo trailer and now have a 42ft. toy hauler. We started off with a vending style sick burner and now have multiple gravity fed smokers. We planned on only cooking around 6 events. At last count we cooked 18 FBA events and 7 KCBS events. We love FBA because of the hour turn ins. We love KCBS because of 30 min turn ins and less meat in the box. Here is what I have learned if it will help any rookie teams. Simplify everything!! We used to bring so much unnecessary stuff with us. We learned we cant be part of the party if were going to have success on Saturday. I broke that rule this past weekend and it showed. The good times and friends we have met are priceless. This is an insane and very expensive game!! It takes and special kind of person that wants to make it this their full time hobby. That type of person is exactly the kind of person I want to hang around. My last bit of advise I would give is take a class. Find one of the top teams in your area and take one. The learning curve is to steep and to expensive not to do it.

Trust me we went from a 3 hour set up to basically dropping 4 lawn chairs in 5 minutes. Smokers are mounted in the garage so no moving around. Clean up is around 30 minutes after last turn in and we are done. Its very simple compared to how we use to do it.

Trust me the wife hasn't been a happy camper about all the upgrades. I can tell you by getting the bigger rig she's started coming to some contest's and loves it now. I'm sure if most of our wives knew afourth of what we spent we would all be in a lot of trouble. Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!:twisted:

Back