Creekstone Farms Ribs & Pork Butt

egorham

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone used Creekstone Farms St. Louis Ribs or Pork Butts in competition? How is the quality? Are all of the racks/butts good or are they hit & miss like Costco/Sam's Club. Trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money. With the free shipping the extra cost is only about $30 more than buying local which might be worth it if all products is usable in competitions. I find that I can't use about 1/3 of the commodity ribs in competitions and about 1/2 of the butts. I looked at Compart, which gets great reviews, but they charge too much for shipping to CA (2x the cost of the meat at a minimum).

Thanks,

Last edited:
I use the ribs, they average 2.75lb / rack and generally are good. They're Duroc so they can be a little smaller but the marbling is great.

The butts are very tasty but they;re on the small side for me.

I have used the butts, they have great flavor but they do run small--really not going to get a usable money muscle from my experience, and it is limited

Tried the ribs once. Ordered a package of 8. Was very disappointed in them. Of the 8, 3 of them were what I'd consider contest worthy racks with straight bones and having enough meat on them. The rest were worthless.

Tried the ribs once. Ordered a package of 8. Was very disappointed in them. Of the 8, 3 of them were what I'd consider contest worthy racks with straight bones and having enough meat on them. The rest were worthless.

This seems to be the case with any ribs. I usually buy 9 and hope to get 3-4 decent ones.. much rather do this at $35 a 3-pack at Costco than the cost of online alternatives, where you still have to do the same thing.

This seems to be the case with any ribs. I usually buy 9 and hope to get 3-4 decent ones.. much rather do this at $35 a 3-pack at Costco than the cost of online alternatives, where you still have to do the same thing.

That is why I asked the question. I wanted to hear that they were charging more but doing a better job of quality control so the net of it was the same or lower price per competition grade rib. I guess if SRF will send out $200 briskets with flats so thin they aren't usable in competition I can't expect duroc ribs/butts to do any better.

Thanks for all of the replies, seems like it saved me some money and it is very appreciated.

I am not sure if this is true nationwide but it is in CA, Costco is carrying Good Nature ribs 2 to pack, a little more expensive because it is antibiotic/hormone free but you can see the top rack clearly and the bones on the second rack so I have found I get a better yield out of them

I used the ribs in my last 2 contests last year and got second place both times. The flavor was fantastic.

That is why I asked the question. I wanted to hear that they were charging more but doing a better job of quality control so the net of it was the same or lower price per competition grade rib. I guess if SRF will send out $200 briskets with flats so thin they aren't usable in competition I can't expect duroc ribs/butts to do any better.

Thanks for all of the replies, seems like it saved me some money and it is very appreciated.

I am not sure if this is true nationwide but it is in CA, Costco is carrying Good Nature ribs 2 to pack, a little more expensive because it is antibiotic/hormone free but you can see the top rack clearly and the bones on the second rack so I have found I get a better yield out of them

Well, with Wagyu, most of us are stuck with throwing caution to the wind and ordering on-line. A majority of what I get is pretty decent.. If Costco, or someone else carried wagyu briskets that I can go thru, I'd do that instead in a heartbeat.

I think you and I tried the combo pack at the same contest. 1 and done for me!

When did you try them? Creekstone changed their rib spec not too long ago due to complaints about small, thin non straight racks. The ribs I got last year were hit or miss but so far this year I've gotten good consistent quality. Call them up, talk to them and see if they'll do anything for you. I know there is a lot of attention on the rib program at Creekstone right now.

Which Costco? San Ramon or Concord? May have to swing by and check it out.

Both San Ramon & Concord. I found Concord has a better selection.

When did you try them? Creekstone changed their rib spec not too long ago due to complaints about small, thin non straight racks. The ribs I got last year were hit or miss but so far this year I've gotten good consistent quality. Call them up, talk to them and see if they'll do anything for you. I know there is a lot of attention on the rib program at Creekstone right now.
mine were last september. My comp season hasn't started yet this year. If they changed them, that's great. I complained last year and basically got the response that they are what they are and if you don't like it don't use them. So I didn't

I just got a case in the mail and while they are frozen from what I could tell in looking at them closely all 8 racks were thick though for competition and very well marbled. Took a few racks out for a test cook early next week.

that they are what they are and if you don't like it don't use them. So I didn't

That's amazing that you got that kind of truth out of them!! :-D

I've spent more $$$ than I care to recall on buying products online where the quality wasn't up to the outrageously great claims the suppliers made. The only people I can order comp meat from online with some confidence is SRF.

I just got a case in the mail and while they are frozen from what I could tell in looking at them closely all 8 racks were thick though for competition and very well marbled. Took a few racks out for a test cook early next week.

Let us know how they turn out! I've looked at them for ribs a few times, but I've just not pulled the trigger yet.

Back