Request for Plans to build Santa Maria Style BBQ

aday

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Hello Folks,
Please bear with me as I'm new this type of stuff. After over 30 years of living in the Lompoc and Santa Maria CA. area, and retiring from UPS Lompoc. I returned to my home state of Texas. I have been here a few years now and everyone out here use smokers OK but not the same at all. We are in need of some help. We miss the Santa Maria Style BBQ open grilling. I'm looking for some detail plans to build a Santa Maria style BBQ. A very good friend would use half of a 55 gal. drum with a angle iron stand and a grate that that you could raise and lower to control the heat while cooking Tri-Tip over Red Oak something that I'm unable to get here in Texas. When the drum would burn out all you had to do was to insert the other half of the drum he would save. However, each time we return to Lompoc to visit family we load up the RV with that outstanding Red Oak and bring it back with us to Texas. I have lost contact with him over the years as he has also moved away. Sure miss that central coast Red Oak.
Thanks
aday

Back