Comp Chicken question?

Brother-n-law-BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying and working thighs for my first comp in august, with good luck so far. I am scraping the skin, and re applying it along with skewer sticks to hold. My question being I have started to clip off the knuckle to make smaller pieces, my problem is the marrow! Is there a trick so the marrow wont come out and make the product red?

Cut the knuckle off after you cook if it looks bad.

I never have much of an issue with trimming the knuckle off and it staining. One it cooks the bone and marrow just kind of blend in. Especially after saucing. Are you seeing staining after cooking and saucing?

I always trim off the knuckles and haven't had any issues with the marrow

Hey guys I am trying and working thighs for my first comp in august, with good luck so far. I am scraping the skin, and re applying it along with skewer sticks to hold. My question being I have started to clip off the knuckle to make smaller pieces, my problem is the marrow! Is there a trick so the marrow wont come out and make the product red?

I thought the same thing would happen. But it cooks up just fine and looks great. No leaking or staining for me. But try it out and see what you think.

If you take the bone out altogether, it will make it easier to mold into the correct shape.

I have had no issues with removing and staining. Be careful about bone fragments when you cut the knuckle.

Thanks guys for the advice/info, wont taking the bone out completely take away some flavor and moisture?

Not as much flavor loss as scraping the fat off of the skin. Once we stopped scraping the skins our chicken scores went up, it just took awhile to find a method for that worked(for us) where the fat rendered and the skin was bite-thru. Our chicken is now much moister and has a more"chickeny" flavor. Fat is flavor!!

Not as much flavor loss as scraping the fat off of the skin. Once we stopped scraping the skins our chicken scores went up, it just took awhile to find a method for that worked(for us) where the fat rendered and the skin was bite-thru. Our chicken is now much moister and has a more"chickeny" flavor. Fat is flavor!!

Ya but not all cooks are as good as you guys and can do that and still get bite through skins. :thumb:

Back