Spring Handle Installation

Springram

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My LSG vertical offset has two long handles that open and close the stack vents. Some of the owners on this site had Chris at LSG put on SS spring handles on these handles when their smokers were built. I did not do that when I had mine built. NOW, I want those spring handles on my smoker. SO...i went to LSG today and bought two of them along with the little end caps that attach on the end to keep the spring handle in place. The instructions were to use a hammer to put the end caps on. That sounded very reasonable and easy to do. HOWEVER, I cannot for the life of me get the caps to stay on when I pound on each with my hammer.

I know this sounds stupid for sure. It just cannot be this hard to do. I thought maybe putting some liquid soap on the handle where the end cap will go would help it go on easier but I think it may have made the situation worse.

Anyone have any "tips or tricks" to this very "simple" thing? :oops:

You are probably tapping the cap too softly, trying to safeguard your fingers. This is natural if you've never done them before.

Hold the cap in place with a pair of pliers and hit it harder.

Anyone who has ever put any cap on the axles found on children's red wagons, etc are laughing their heads off, I know. Never in a million years did I think this was going to be an issue. :roll:

I agree that you probably aren't hitting it hard enough. You might try putting in a socket with an extension or a piece of pipe. That will give you more control and get your fingers away from danger.

Are they sliding on to the rod? If they get deformed they will not stay on. If they are not sliding onto the rod, then hit them harder but you have to make sure they are perpendicular to the end of the rod. As mentioned above placing them in a socket would be a good idea.

I got one on. I am thinking the one that will not go on maybe is "not in spec". Aren't you supposed to blame the part or tool rather than the operator? :grin:

I may pick another up at the hardware store since the other went on pretty easily.

Sorry for the stupid thread.

Back