Way Too Hot!!

CLINT-THE-GREAT

Reaction score
So I bought my 18" WSM used off CL from a guy who used it a few times but preferred gas. I just did my 3rd cook on it today and like both other times, the temps run away. Today I did a fatty, only filled the ring about 1/4 full charcoal and about 1/3 full chimney starter of charcoal. I have tried all the suggested methods about closing vents bottom and most of the top vent. Temps were shooting up to 340*, took almost 40 mins with all vents closed to get temps down to 250-260-ish. This was all with a small 1lb fatty. I also used dry, foiled water pan.

the previous smoke was a 7lb butt. I filled whole ring full of KBB and a full chimney of KBB to start it. Used minion method. Again temps shot up and hard to control. 270-290*. This cook was even with water pan full. Even with a full ring of KBB, about 6 hours in, I had to add more charcoal as it burnt it all up.

Am I just using too much charcoal in my chimney? not enough meat? I am really struggling here. I also don't want to hear nonsense from my parents saying that I shoulda bought a Traeger like theirs.... I just want to produce some consistent low heat... right now its more of a gril

You said you bought it used. Have you checked to be sure the lid, bottom, and center section are round? Does the door fit pretty well? Sounds like it's leaking somewhere.

Check it to be sure everything is round.

Also, top vent always wide open unless you are shutting it down. Use the lower vents to control temps.

yeah everything is fairly round. I threw some wood in there one day to get it smoking to check the seals. I adjusted the door a bit and now seems pretty tight. I try to leave the vent wide open, but the temps kept running away and was trying to get the temps under control. I just wonder if too much lit charcoal is my issue

What's wrong 275- 325 is the perfect temp zone for BBQ. adapt to where the pit settle in. If you want to cook cooler start with a smaller fire.

You are using too much fire, imho. Try adding 10 fully lit coals on top of the charcoal ring that you filled with unlit briquettes. Leave the top vent open & start closing down the bottom vents when you are 20* or so below your target temp.

You are using too much fire, imho. Try adding 10 fully lit coals on top of the charcoal ring that you filled with unlit briquettes. Leave the top vent open & start closing down the bottom vents when you are 20* or so below your target temp.

I was hoping that was gonna be the consensus. I haven't been counting them out, but I would definitely imagine 1/3 of the chimney is 20+ briquettes... so I will reduce by a bunch.

What therm are you reading for your cooker temp? If you are using the dome therm, it could be way off. Check it out and get a digital therm in there.

No, I have a separate meat and pit probes.... I even double checked it running 2 different digital therms today and they were withing a degree of each other. Similar to the Maverick. I don't ever pay attention to the dome thermo

yeah everything is fairly round.
What is your definition of "fairly round"?
If any of the three pieces is off by even 1/4" it needs to be adjusted. Measurements need to be off by less than 1/8".
When it's leaking it draws air in, so you won't see smoke coming out.
And I light my WSMs Minion Method with nearly a full chimney of lit and don't experience runaway temps, even with a dry foil lined water pan.

I would start with less lit and catch the temps on the way up instead of closing up trying to choke temps down.

What is your definition of "fairly round"?
If any of the three pieces is off by even 1/4" it needs to be adjusted. Measurements need to be off by less than 1/8".
When it's leaking it draws air in, so you won't see smoke coming out.
And I light my WSMs Minion Method with nearly a full chimney of lit and don't experience runaway temps, even with a dry foil lined water pan.

As in a tight fit all the way around. There are no gaps. It is a snug fit.

I only use lump.It burns hotter and faster than briqs.I fill the charcoal ring as full as I can get it then beat it down with a hammer.Open all vents,onece she starts climbing,I shut down 1 vent ,totally( bottom,top is always open) as she approaches target temp,I shut down vent 2.Closer she gets,I adjust the last remaining vent to hit target temp.I usually run 250 grate temp with 1 bottom vent 1/2 open and top vent wide open,lasts for hours.Hope it helps.

I was thinking a leak too....when you say it took 40 minutes with all the vents closed for the temps to come down, I'd be thinking the fire is getting air from somewhere else. The 18 wsm really is a good cooker for keeping low temps. How much wood are you adding to your coals? Too much wood can cause temps to run high if your the type that opens the lid to check on things every hour.

Dont give up on it. Keep working at it. I usually can keep mine within a few degrees of where i want it. I can keep it nearly as low as i want also. Make sure all the bolts are tight and everything is snug. Once it gets some seasoning it will get easier for you to control. Best bet is keep starting with less and less coal in your chimney until you get a more favorable starting point. When i bbq, my bottom vents are open all the way, till i'm about 20, or 30 degrees from my target, then i almost have them shut all the way except for a tiny crack. Always have my top vent open all the way, only closing it to put out the coals. Keep playin around with it bud, you'll get it right.

Krex may also be on to something--how often are you adjusting stuff and peaking in at things?

With my WSM it runs at temp pretty good, but only if you leave the lid on

Krex may also be on to something--how often are you adjusting stuff and peaking in at things?

With my WSM it runs at temp pretty good, but only if you leave the lid on

I don't peek. I have pit and food probes. I don't get a chance to adjust anything due to it being so hot. I think I need less lit coals to start, and then go from there

I don't peek. I have pit and food probes. I don't get a chance to adjust anything due to it being so hot. I think I need less lit coals to start, and then go from there

OK that's not it. Just thought I'd check since that is often part of the answer.

I don't have a WSM, but I know my Kettle took a while to "Seal" up everything with the remnants of old cooks. Is the WSM the same? Is it pretty clean on the inside?

along with starting a smaller fire, give your self an hour to get the temp up and dialed in so that you can bring it up slowly to your target. better to take it up slowly and hit your target than overshooting and having to smother your fire. trying to take it up to temp slowly will also help you figure out how your WSM responds to vent changes. when I want to smoke something on my 18 I will start with as little as a half full mini chimney. it doesn't take much to get an 18 up to temp especially when new.

Water pan works wonders on a Kettle. Maybe WSM's will respond well to this too.

Back