Way Too Hot!!

You are using too much fire, imho. Try adding 10 fully lit coals on top of the charcoal ring that you filled with unlit briquettes. Leave the top vent open & start closing down the bottom vents when you are 20* or so below your target temp.

You people count coals to light! :shocked: Oh the travesty! :tsk:
:heh::becky:

The only think I could think of that would let extra air in... would be where the probes come out. I have them coming out at the top and the lid closes down on it, so the lid I guess probably isn't air tight.... but would that really be enough for such high temps? Its 3 probe wires

yes, the three probe wires will keep the lid high enough to cause the runaway temps especially if new. put the probes in through the top vent or get a probe grommet and keep the lid closed. when I am doing turkeys I will often close a small piece of tinfoil between the lid and body to bring the smoker temp up to 350*. my guess is the gap with three probes is much bigger than the gap I make with the tinfoil.

Ya'll get wound tighter than a 2.00 Ingersal watch about pit temp. Light it let it settle put the meat on and leave it Be. Cook where the pit wants to cook. It's just BBQ we aint trying to put a man on Mars. If it's runnin a little hot you get done sooner, no big deal.
Y'all need to listen ole Blue he knows what he's a talkin about. :thumb:

Whether i use my drum or my WSM i let it settle in were it wants (265-280) and let it ride!:biggrin1:

Back