Brisket advice needed

Luckyaddaam

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I put my 12.5lb brisket on the uds latnight at 10pm @240-250 degrees. Lastnight it rained on my unprotected uds...... this morning the temp has hovered around 220 all morning. I opened up all the vents to stoke it up but to no prevail. When I stick the probe in it, it is TOUGH. Not butter like at all. So I used the chimney and got another batch of lump and briquettes going and now I'm ramping back up to 250. Noob thought. In the past whenever I've cooked meat on the grill or inside, when it's tough, that means it's dry and overcooked. Do you think that's the case here? Boy I hope jot. Brisket my boys purchased me for father's day ruined???

From what I hear if its tough and not probe tender its undercooked still. All the fat hadn't been rendered enough to get that desired tenderness

From what I hear if its tough and not probe tender its undercooked still. All the fat hadn't been rendered enough to get that desired tenderness

Ditto. If brisket is tough, it usually means it is undercooked. Overcooked brisket usually falls apart.

Whew..... I can handle that. Thanks guys, that's a little pat on the back I needed. I was staring to get worried. I cannot uncooked a chunk of meat, but I do have the patience to cook it more.

Now that you are not worrying, what type of exhaust do you have?

If I suspect rain is coming, I either tarp the UDS, or I use a long piece of stove pipe I snag from my double barrel smoker. It has a rain/bug grill on it, so the exhaust port stays dry.

No exhaust cover. Just 8 1 inch hokes drilled around the lid.
I guess aster 17 hours I'm going to pull it from the smoker. Still not exactly like butter, but o well. Point cut off and diced and reseassoned and put back on for burnt ends.

Goood eats right there.....

You should have wrapped it and put it in the kitchen oven at 275*, it's not gonna get any more smoke after it's wrapped...it's not cheating, but more of situational cooking.:cool:

Back