BBQ Tempature Controller Choices

TomRaz

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Okay I currently have a Lone Star Grillz Large Insulated Smoker on order and only 8 weeks to go :)

I currently own the latest Stoker II controller unit left over from my large BGE

So in order to control the new Lone Star Grillz smoker I have the following choices

Order a 10 cfm or 25 cfm blower and adapters for the Stoker 2 which will cost $150 to $200

Purchase a BBQ Guru Digiq DX2 with a Pit Bull blower for around $255

Order a BBQ Guru Cyber Q with a Pit Bull fan for around $355

Order q Flame Boss 200 with a soon to be released 15 cfm fan for around $350 to $400

The Stoker blowers do,have a damper door that opens and closes with the blower on or off

The BBQ Guru has a Manual damper that has multiple positions

The Flame Boss has an variable speed fan

If I go with a solution other than the Stoker Blower I will sell the Stoker

So what are your thoughts ?

I run a BBQ Guru Digi-Q2 on my Grenn Egg and like it quite a bit. Fairly simple to operate and I keep the damper 3/4 closed and let the blower work more often. When I've opened it up she can get 300 quick and stay there but it's too hot for my style.

Only wish my model had sync with app option. If your inside watching game and you have a problem it's tough hearing alarm. It's 95-100 degrees my way already and sitting outside is a short proposition at 100% humidity. Distance notification is very nice.

Just picked up a Myron Mixon H2o smoker and thinking about adding the mod to use the Cyber Q. I'll follow this thread to see where you end up and your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hey Tomraz;
Probably best to go with the controller that you are most comfortable with - you have listed several types, and based upon the fact that you are putting it on an insulated smoker, I would bet that you would have to worry less about the size of the fan, and more about the features you like. I have used a Pitmaster IQ120 for the last couple of years on my Assassin 28 and have been happy with the performance - it has the 15 cfm fan built in to the controller unit, it's quiet, and the fan speed can vary based on the settings. That's my 2 cents, but that may be all that it's worth!!

I've had a BBQ Guru DigiQ and CyberQ. For a large smoker like the LSG, I'd definitely recommend the CyberQ as it has 3 meat probes, the DigiQ only has 1. I find even on my small smokers, I like having multiple meat probes, one in a naked fattie and one in each of 2 pork butts. I like all of my BBQ Guru stuff, I can't comment on the others as I have no personal experience with them.

Thanks fxdlryan, what is your experience with temperature stability with either one of the BBQ Guru products ?

What I am trying to ask is how stable did they perform ?

In other words I don't want much undershoot or overshoot

Thanks

Thanks fxdlryan, what is your experience with temperature stability with either one of the BBQ Guru products ?

What I am trying to ask is how stable did they perform ?

In other words I don't want much undershoot or overshoot

Thanks
I've used them on my WSM and Primo XL ( I also plan to use one on my LSG when it arrives), they hold temps rock solid. As long as you don't overbuild the fire in the beginning or keep pulling the lid or opening the door, they maintain a very consistent temp.
I used to do 225 like a religious belief and had no problem going to bed and leaving the DigiQ to maintain temps all night. During the course of a cook, the unit sort of maps a memory of how it needs to recover from fluctuations and it does a good job of recovering after you pull the lid or open the door. I try to minimize the amount of time the lid is off or the door is open and that makes recovery easier, more effective and more consistent.
Like with any smoker/grill and temp controller, I found it most effective to understand what vent openings / fire sizes etc. were needed for given temps before adding the Guru's to the equation.

I am a huge fan of the flameboss and their interface but the lack of extra probes kinda sucks. I really like that my cyberq has 3 meat probe spots.

Sorry if this is considered a hijack but ... What is the easiest way to get a digi-q to trigger an alarm (hi/lo pit temp or food temp) that I can hear or monitor inside?

Sorry if this is considered a hijack but ... What is the easiest way to get a digi-q to trigger an alarm (hi/lo pit temp or food temp) that I can hear or monitor inside?

Buy a flameboss with their text message alerts? :lol:

I've got both a Stoker, as well as a newly acquired Guru DX2, and I really prefer the simplicity of the Guru.

I like my cyberq alot. Network connectivity means I can sit inside and watch the game and monitor my temps. I also set it to alert me via text which is nice. Also, someone with that exact cooker can comment, but you may not even need the BULL for an insulated like that to stoke with. I have both a bull and a viper, I use the viper choked about 40% on my WSM22. It doesn't have to run full at all and comes to temp decently. Its a pretty strong fan in itself.

I dont have experience with any of the others, so I will not comment. I would also take a look at the IQ130s. They look pretty sweet too.

I would hold off on a controller with an LSG insulated smoker. My CyberQ was pretty handy when I had my old WSM but it's an overpriced temperature monitor with my Pitmaker Safe, which is very similar to your LSG. I struggled for a long time to get my Pitmaker working with my CyberQ until I realized that the Pitmaker actually works better without any help at all.

You may be able save yourself a couple hundred bucks and just get something simple like a long-range Maverick for monitoring temps.

Back