Whole hog on the Lang 84 deluxe (pron!)

S.Six

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Finally got to smokin a whole hog on my Lang! this was my first hog. Got the pig from a local farm, slaughtered the same day I picked it up. prepped it and injected it with apple juice, cider vinegar and some Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

Getting the mouth to open a bit more was next to impossible! Had a hard time deciding on how much time to give it on the smoker. Almost every thing I've read said 1hr/10lbs (this was a 85lb'er hanging weight ) couldn't believe that it would only take 8-9hrs, so I planned on 11hr @275-300° aiming for 185°or so in hams and shoulders.
Here she goes on the Lang, 4 briskets joined in on the fun!

At around 5.5hrs i removed the foil from the snout.

At 8hrs it was time to wrap the briskets.

At 11hrs it was around 172° in the hams and time to eat, as I ran out of time.

Even though I ran out of time and didn't hit the temp I was going for, it turned out just fine. Next time I think I'll go with 1.5-1.75hrs/10lbs. Had a different flavor than what I was expecting, but it was good and a great experience! Thanks to all the brethren out there who's posts I've read many times in preparation for how to go about this! Looking forward to doing another one!
Thx for looking!

Wow, beautiful job on the holy grail of all things Q. That skin looks like it's done to perfection!

Looks great and thanks for sharing the process with us.

Doing a whole hog is on my "to que" list. Great pics and info.

very nice looking cook and always wanted to do a whole pig sometime . :clap2:

That's definitely on my bucket list...thanks for sharing!!

Looks great! My Lang has not seen a whole hog in years. Might have to find an excuse for a party.

Looks like it's cooked to perfection. When you say the taste was not what you expected was it better or more of an unusual flavor. I've never had fresh roasted pig but I would definatley like to:-D

Great job and I bet it tasted good! . And love the cherry eyes! I wish I had a smoker big enough to do a whole hog that size.

Looks like it's cooked to perfection. When you say the taste was not what you expected was it better or more of an unusual flavor. I've never had fresh roasted pig but I would definatley like to:-D

I guess I was thinking it would be more like a pork butt, but it was an almost gamie flavor. Perhaps what the pig was feed or the breed, not sure. Not bad just different from what I'm used to pork tasting like.

Do you think it could have been the combination of apple juice and cider that gave it the "almost gamey" taste? I dunno if that would do it. I cook whole hogs often and I always use a butter and garlic combination. I also use wild hogs around the 30 to 50 pound size. I am just curious as to what could have given the pig that kind of profile being a farm raised pig and all. It looks awesome. And it still beats going to burger king any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Do you think it could have been the combination of apple juice and cider that gave it the "almost gamey" taste? I dunno if that would do it. I cook whole hogs often and I always use a butter and garlic combination. I also use wild hogs around the 30 to 50 pound size. I am just curious as to what could have given the pig that kind of profile being a farm raised pig and all. It looks awesome. And it still beats going to burger king any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

I would guess it was more a result of less smoke and rub flavoring in the meat than he is used to getting from butts.

Thanks for the info. By the way, I love the cherries.......I am going to do that when I get back to the States from my rotation. I have two whole hogs waiting for me when I get home. Cant wait to see the kids and wife's expression with the cherries....

Back