Today's Smoke

smokingmeats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Smoking a couple of pork shoulders and 4 chuck roasts for my brothers diaper keg this evening.

Threw the BONELESS pork shoulders on at 930 this morning. About 5 hours in they have a mahogany color to them but have yet to form that nice, dark bark.

I was planning to foil in about a hour, and then cook foiled for the last 3 hours, but am unsure now due to the lack of bark.

Have any of you cooked a boneless pork shoulder before? Is it any different than a bone in?

The chuck roasts have been cooking for about 2 hours. My plan for the chuck roast is to toss them, onions and beef broth in a cooking pan cover with foil in about 2 hours. Then let them cook in the cooking pan for the last 3 hours.

Thoughts?

First, what is a diaper keg???

At 275*, my bone in butts usually take an hour per pound. I usually pan and foil them around the four hour mark when they are a nice mahogany color. I pull them when the bone wiggles loosely. Since you have boneless, go for probe tender or when you can stick a big fork in it and turn / pull the meat apart easily. Butts are forgiving, so better a little over cooked than under.

The several times I have made Pepper Stout Beef, I have been surprised how long it takes for a 3 - 4 pound roast to get to pull tender. Usually 8 - 9 hours.

Diaper Keg.... I love it! I'm expecting a Shirley in July. Perhaps I should have a Smoker Keg - everyone who brings a brisket, butt, rack, etc. could get a cup for the keg?!?!?!?
Then that would be a "Brisket Keg":wink:

Back