• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

225F for pork ribs is the magic number !

I think by vertical, Fwis is speaking of the meat spinning end over end, where several loins could be stacked side by side, rather than the loin being skewered from end to end along its axis. Not being a roti guy, yet, I don't know that a typical roti can accommodate a pork loin skewered the way that Fwis is showing here, let alone several in a row. Now, how that pork loin is actually being carried by the rod, and not just hanging in a stationary position while the rod spins inside it, is a question for Fwis to answer. Clearly, something is not being shown in the photo.

Maybe it's like those hotdog spinners you see at movie theaters and such places.

Maybe it's like those hotdog spinners you see at movie theaters and such places.

But over an open vertical fire and rotating end over end? I don't get it.....but looking forward to understanding the big difference.

Yes, part of my system I cook meats vertically to a horizontally disposed spit. Just like the pork loin tonight. If wanted 5-6 loins could have fit on the spit rod...or ribs etc..
Like this?
DSC_0434_zpst76xdhpz.jpg

I have many cookers that all create different cooking environments. I no longer cook below 250 degrees on anything as I want moist ribs. When the rub is set and the color looks great, I foil them for about 45-60 minutes depending on cooker and temp. Whoever came up with 3-2-1 must love severely overcooked ribs..... I have cooked awesome ribs at 275 for 4 hours no wrapping on my BGE. On my MAK pellet grill it is 250-260 for 2 hours and about 45 minutes in foil. Perfectly cooked. It's all about the cooker.....

I'm at anywhere from 300* to 550* on the rotisserie for the best ribs for me. I know ...quite the range I know but honestly it just doesn't matter for spinning or for when I grate cook them.

I am a believer in there are many ways to skin a cat. And i must say, I tried this mad man's method last night hahaha. using a full, small side up Vortex, I cooked a whole, untrimmed rack of spares in 80 minutes. They were tender, smokey, juicy as all hell with a great bark. Not saying I will never go low and slow...but this was an epiphany to say the least.

I actually have a boiling ribs/meat video planned where I then smoke it and do other things to it just for fun. Will probably do that soon at the new place.
Jason you know every time someone boils ribs an angle loses it's wings :shock:

Personally I don't think cooking temperature affects how dry the ribs turn out as much as knowing when to pull them off.

Also different ribs cook differently, so knowing what the rib should look like and feel like when it is done is the key to having a moist rib.

I won a rib cook off this past weekend. We cooked 5 racks at 275. I have a system when I cook and I know just about the right time to check the foiled ribs. None of them were ready when I thought they would be, So I wrapped them back up and put them back on for another 30 mins. 4 slabs were perfect, and 1 just never rendered properly. I left it on for another hour and it just wouldn't come out.
The point is - It's not so much about cooking temp, but more about feel. At least that's my 2 cents.

Cooking lower temps = more smoke flavor
Cooking higher temps = better bark (IMHO)

Enrico, there are millions of ways to BBQ. The best way is the one that produces food the way you and yours like it.

That being said, I don't think you mentioned which type of pork ribs you are cooking. I like to cook St. Louis Style Spare Ribs. I cook them where ever the pit likes to run. My old WSM liked to run at 275*, my new cabinet is closer to 250*. I put the ribs on and let them go for the first two hours. I'll wrap them in foil for the third hour. I'll unwrap them for the fourth hour, but start checking them about 30 mins into it. They are usually done in about 4 hours. I check via the bend test and the toothpick test.

If I am doing a lot of ribs (more than two racks), I won't foil them at all. We did a side by side test and there just wasn't that much difference between the two ways.

I don't sauce, but serve some on the side.

Again, find what works best for you and serves up the food that you and yours like. That will be the best way...

Enrico, there are millions of ways to BBQ. The best way is the one that produces food the way you and yours like it.

That being said, I don't think you mentioned which type of pork ribs you are cooking. I like to cook St. Louis Style Spare Ribs. I cook them where ever the pit likes to run. My old WSM liked to run at 275*, my new cabinet is closer to 250*. I put the ribs on and let them go for the first two hours. I'll wrap them in foil for the third hour. I'll unwrap them for the fourth hour, but start checking them about 30 mins into it. They are usually done in about 4 hours. I check via the bend test and the toothpick test.

If I am doing a lot of ribs (more than two racks), I won't foil them at all. We did a side by side test and there just wasn't that much difference between the two ways.

I don't sauce, but serve some on the side.

Again, find what works best for you and serves up the food that you and yours like. That will be the best way...

Very well said. However, your first sentence is not quite accurate. I just read an article the other day that said there are now one million and one ways to BBQ. Just wanted to set the record straight!

Time and temps are never the same just approximated. Just cook them till done. Bend them to see, poke with tooth pick. Turn the clock around, cover your temp gauge. Learn to cook it's not rocket science it's like riding a bike once you get it you got it.

Forgot to mention I have messed up many a rib in my days of learning.

Back