Quail????????

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Mac, my youngest is a gunner for competitors at field trials so we now have a few dozen quail in the freezer. I've usually just fryied them up but think I want to try something new. I'm thinking of a little rub, maybe jalapeno & cream cheese in the cavity, bacon wrap, a little more rub and cook in the smoker.

Anybody have any experience or suggestions?

I've only cooked it once. Those things are tiny! I butterflied it, seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika. Cooked each side over direct heat till crispy then moved to indirect heat till internal of 145-150.

I havent done it with quail, but with doves, I do a 2hr basic brine, half of a jalapeno and a wedge of onion in the cavity, dust the breast with Kickin Chicken, wrap up with bacon and dust with SPOG, light on the salt, but heavy on the pepper. If you have a few, pick out a couple of different ways maybe stuff with breakfast sausage or something and see what you like the best.

http://barbecuerankings.com/post/73049578598/mike-andersons-bbq-house

tumblr_inline_mz54vcI5qO1soqvgx.png

IIRC, he debones the quail, all but one leg bone (meat needs a handle, right?). Then he wraps the meat around some cheese and wraps it in bacon and smokes it. It is a 1-3 bite appetizer depending on your bite size and it was awesome!

make an andouille cornbread stuffing, stuff and grill or smoke

Mac, my youngest is a gunner for competitors at field trials so we now have a few dozen quail in the freezer. I've usually just fryied them up but think I want to try something new. I'm thinking of a little rub, maybe jalapeno & cream cheese in the cavity, bacon wrap, a little more rub and cook in the smoker.Anybody have any experience or suggestions?

Sounds like the way to go as far as cooking them. Bacon will help in the moisture department. They are like shrimp, they will cook quickly, and the bacon will not be done unless you pre cook it a bit before wrapping.

All the trials I participated in, we had to do our own shooting. Our trials were all "Walking, shoot to retrieve trials". You must be talking about Horseback trials?? Brings back lots of good memories.

Omar

akc nstra or navhda... I don't think af does shooting

Our trials were all "Walking, shoot to retrieve trials". You must be talking about Horseback trials?? Brings back lots of good memories.

akc nstra or navhda... I don't think af does shooting

Yep, all AKC sponsored by a local north Florida german shorthair club, mostly NSTRA some NAVHDA. I'm pretty sure all the gunners are all on foot, judges mostly on horseback, dog owners/handlers a mix depending on class (but, I'm pretty new to this so don't take that to the bank). We have a really close friend that was an Olympic shotgunner who breeds/raises german shorthairs and she taught both my boys to shoot in trade for manual labor around her place. Asked Mac to start gunning about 6 months ago and my wife is "in training" to be a judge with her tennessee walker.

I just drive the truck & horse trailer and, of course, cook:becky:

Back