Pulled Lamb Shoulder

fantomlord

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
decided to cook up some of my lamb, and settled on a shoulder...so, I fired up the WSM
02E347CE-237C-469C-93AE-66425EA9BD2F_zpswfjizvw2.jpg

seasoned up the shoulder very simply--just some coarse salt and garlic
024E57A0-CAAF-43E1-9A19-6B80FC9F2D2A_zps9v9i23vy.jpg

in the meantime, while that hung out, I heated up the dutchie, and started out with some rendered lamb fat (of course:rolleyes:)
E86D5D79-F1ED-468F-8D78-7C8F7ACDC372_zpsrduzm0ie.jpg

then let some onions and shallot get happy for a bit
D6276FA3-B56D-4B53-AFD0-BFF6140D0CD8_zpspf4dqy9o.jpg

threw in some carrots
F82B4211-A78F-41EF-AA44-6143DD3E1CF4_zpsuvaeabhg.jpg

then, some white beans
D3EA26D7-98D0-4681-AF97-A5362F16E026_zpsx5nn1dm3.jpg

and finally a little beef stock (no lamb stock :oops:), a bit of salt and pepper, some garlic, and a little molasses and maple syrup. I parked the beans under the shoulder, and let it all go for a few hours
D3AD52E9-FAE2-465B-B64B-4B32F2705DEC_zpspgsgedwn.jpg

After a few hours, I let the beans rest in the oven, and stuck the meat in a pan to catch the juices
0329BB4C-D92A-4790-83C7-0FF34D550A41_zpsjmsiz4px.jpg

pulled it when it probed tender, and looked like this
65ADCF9A-9344-4AD9-AE3F-3A67360A0668_zpss1x1qid6.jpg

plated up with some beans, some gravy I made with the drippings, and some onion jam I made while the rest of it was cooking
4E3CE17B-8C5B-46E2-892F-F2DB310EBD23_zpsvf9fcnum.jpg

this most definitely did not suck!
ABA6FC2F-DD76-494A-A7C8-9B2517E5CF28_zpsfzkchhok.jpg

:whoo:

That looks great. I've always wanted to do lamb but have shied away from it due to lack of experience. Any other tips on cooking time and temps?

Never tried pulling lamb, after your meal, I definitely will in the future
it's a must do! I'll be turning the leftovers into a nice shepherd's pie for dinner next :becky:

Nice work!
thanks Phu!

That looks great. I've always wanted to do lamb but have shied away from it due to lack of experience. Any other tips on cooking time and temps?
thanks. as far as times/temps, it'll depend on what cut you're cooking. For this, I ran the WSM around 275-300° or so until it was probe tender...took around 5 or 6 hours, I think.
For leg, most people will cook it to more like medium rare or so, generally over somewhat high heat. I generally do mine indirect on my kettle, somewhere in the neighborhood of 400°
For chops, I essentially treat them like a steak...indirect to 125° or so, then sear

Sure wish I could find shoulder! That looks killer.
thanks! We buy a whole lamb every year, so I get 2 shoulders. Not sure I've seen them in the store...I don't typically buy lamb buy the cut, as it's too expensive for me.

That looks great! I've never made pulled lamb, either, plenty of legs but not one shoulder. I can fix that, they are available in a few grocery stores in my area. I have questions about the onion jam -- it looks dark red, is there balsamic vinegar in it? What did it taste like? How did you make it? How does it complement the lamb, does it bring out flavours that normally are in the background?

I missed this thread when you posted Matt. Your lamb looks delicious! Love the beans too. Great job!

That looks great! I've never made pulled lamb, either, plenty of legs but not one shoulder. I can fix that, they are available in a few grocery stores in my area. I have questions about the onion jam -- it looks dark red, is there balsamic vinegar in it? What did it taste like? How did you make it? How does it complement the lamb, does it bring out flavours that normally are in the background?

yep...there's balsamic vinegar, along with some worsty and red wine. followed this recipe:
http://www.fast-ed.com.au/onion-jam/
got that link from Titch's post:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178992&highlight=onion+jam

it's got a nice sweet taste from the balsamic and the onions (carmelized) with some red wine notes. It gives a nice contrast to the flavor of the lamb, and goes really well with any red meat--it's fantastic on a simple burger.

I missed this thread when you posted Matt. Your lamb looks delicious! Love the beans too. Great job!
thanks Jeanie...the beans were pretty tasty. that's the first time I let lamb drip into a pot of beans--it will certainly not be the last :becky:

Looks so tasty to me, I would love some!!
thanks buccs!

I have since substituted the Salt and Pepper to Slap Ya Mama white pepper blend/
To taste, makes the jam shine.
We have friends waiting on us Canning this Jam, it does it well

Back