Probe Tender Bigga Pig !

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I went on a pig hunt last year and still had a pork roast from it in the fridge. Since there are two Throw downs going on right now, I decided to cook this roast without knowing the temps so I could enter in both throw downs. “Probe Tender” and “Game Meats”
Here is the “Bigga Pig” a 700 pounder!

View attachment 107920

Here is camp with the rest of the haul

View attachment 107921

Got the roast all rubbed down with Oakridge Competition Pork and chicken

View attachment 107922

Since I had to cook this “Blind”, I replaced the Performer lid with an OTS lid

View attachment 107923

Set my dampers and dropped this bad boy on for a ride!

View attachment 107924

Since I “think” I am cooking low and slow, I’ll play with Elly May for a while!

View attachment 107925

I think this is getting close?

View attachment 107926

OK – I am calling this done. Been on about 4 hours and it has good bark but squeezes like it is moist

View attachment 107927

It pulled nice and was moist and tender

View attachment 107928

Plated as a Pulled pork Sammi with cole slaw, some Poppers, ham wrapped beans, and HDD Deviled Egg!

View attachment 107929

I wish I knew what the kettle and meat temps were because this is the best Pulled pork I have made – Figures?

Great Sammi’s with friends while we watched the race
Thanks for lookin!
SD

Last edited:
Nice shootin' SD and great looking food! Your helper is a cutie!!

Awesome, Paul! Temps are over rated. Helluva big pig. Ellie May is gettin big!

Excellent job Paul. On the kill and the cook

I have a question about the kill. How bad did those hogs stink when you were skinning them out? And can you tell a strong game taste with them?

Excellent job Paul. On the kill and the cook

I have a question about the kill. How bad did those hogs stink when you were skinning them out? And can you tell a strong game taste with them?

Thanks Will. They did not smell any more than gutting a deer or Elk but we were hunting in a very green forrested area with plenty of clean food for them and even some farmers fields.

Sausage and pepperoni was great, some the the shoulder and Butt has a slight gamy taste. This was the only roast I had and it was very good - I was surprised at how tender it was as the shoulder was a bit tough.

Thanks Will. They did not smell any more than gutting a deer or Elk but we were hunting in a very green forrested area with plenty of clean food for them and even some farmers fields.

Sausage and pepperoni was great, some the the shoulder and Butt has a slight gamy taste. This was the only roast I had and it was very good - I was surprised at how tender it was as the shoulder was a bit tough.

We went on a hog hunt this past year. My cousin killed one and that farker stunk to high heaven. It was awful. After that I had no desire to kill one.

The people in your pic look to be having a good time. We looked like we were in a sewage plant.

Great looking hog! That is a hunting trip that I really want to do. We don't really have them in Illinois, except sporadically in Southern Illinois.

Great job on the cook and the pup looks great too!

That looked like really delicious pulled pork. I agree with Decoy25, cooking skills, experience and feel win against gadgets. Thanks for documenting the start to finish, I've never seen a hunting camp before. Elly May is adorable. :redface:

^^ Thanks - She is my new girl!

I'll have to post some pics!

Congrats on the kill. Looks like a lost farm pig except for the long tusks! In south Texas, our feral hogs had really long tusks, and were usually black, with the occasional light spots on their sides. Last one I killed, it had no strong odor, and made some great meals for about 3 families.

Your finished pull looks really moist and delicious. The sammie looks good. Good job all around.

Omar

Back