New Smoker!!

JRdestroyer

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey all I am looking to get a new smoker. I am currently using a WSM 18.5. Don't get me wrong I love it and can't say anything bad about it. Right now I have some full spares on and they are lookin some good. I just have problems with wanting some more smoking options. My question... What do you guys think would be the next level up as far as style and capacity. I used to have a lowes OK Joe so I am not opposed to sticks. To note I cook every weekend and about 10 to 12 times a year I cook for other crowds of small to medium size as far as a back yard get together goes. Any advice I would appreciate. Thanks!

What do you want to spend? You say you don't mind stick burners, is that your preference then or do you want something that's more set and forget?

Check out the Ole Ciuntry Pits at Sports Authority. They a relative thick and won't break the bank. Just be sure to check that they a put together well. Many of the ones I've seen at my local SA have the doors out of round where it won't make a good seal.

Well I'm a little biased because I own a version of one of these but I think that this might be just what you need, especially if you're looking for a larger cooking capacity. LSG is top notch in their designs, materials and craftsmanship while also fairly priced!:wink:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc5KTiwAzzI"]24''x24''x36'' Offset Vertical Smoker by Lone Star Grillz - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.lonestargrillz.com/

wayne77
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
What do you want to spend? You say you don't mind stick burners, is that your preference then or do you want something that's more set and forget?

I loved the fire control art that goes into stick burners. Being from GA I can go pick up a Lang and beat the shipping or I can stay vertical and head up to Hawkinsville and get stumps. Both have pits in my budget but since I have been a member of the Brethren I have seen some awesome pits. I am definitely looking for something in the higher end (not hardware store).

If cost is not the limiting factor, I both use and highly recommend Shirley and Pitmaker.

Depends on your needs too. I love my new kamado but not sure that is for you. So if you want good advice what is your cooking style? What do you want to do with a new smoker? If this is just because and it serves no real purpose a kamado is great.

wayne77
Knows what a fatty is.

I loved the fire control art that goes into stick burners. Being from GA I can go pick up a Lang and beat the shipping or I can stay vertical and head up to Hawkinsville and get stumps. Both have pits in my budget but since I have been a member of the Brethren I have seen some awesome pits. I am definitely looking for something in the higher end (not hardware store).
My vote is for the Lang then, those are great pits!:thumb:

Budget is king to most of us I think. As I've aged so has my tolerance for tending fire (especially in the damn winter). If it neither matter to you then you can drive the Shirley Royce. If you are like me you might consider a pellet smoker, a Kamado, and insulted vertical like, Battle box (if you've got a big bigger budget) or a bigger version of a weber and bullet and build a UDS. How many are you going to feed regularly? I would sure consider that. Doesn't make much sense firing up a big old smoker for a couple of ribs. Also, do you have the room for a big old hog wagon?

I wouldn't presume your needs but you need to then your decision I'm sure will be the right one for you.

wayne77
Knows what a fatty is.

I carry the Backwoods water cookers if you want to throw that into the cabinet cooker consideration box. I have a customer in Bainbridge that has a Fatboy and a Party. He'd probably be ok with you checking his set up out.

It hasn't arrived yet (5 weeks to go, ugh :) ) but I am upgrading from my 18.5 WSM to a Humphrey Weeble, insulated cabinet. More forgiving in our wildly swinging temps, more capacity, and a quality box that I should have for a long time. Humphrey might be expensive to ship to you, just giving you an idea of what I went to after my WSM.

When I made the step up from backyard cooker a couple years ago, I started with a Lang. I love stick burners, but fire management got to be an issue especially since I do a lot of overnight cooks (I also love sleep). I upgraded to an Assassin and couldn't be happier. I love gravity cookers.

I wanted a stick burner and after watching several videos on YouTube and reading all of the reviews, I pulled the plug last November and bought a Brinkmann Trailmaster Vertical smoker. It's $269 plus tax at the big box stores. I sealed every joint with RTV and used Nomex tape on all the doors. I got lucky and my main cook chamber door fit pretty well and the Nomex made it perfect. I didn't need the two additional latches that some advise. I did fabricate a heat baffel similar to the one the BBQ Brethren talk about for the old New Brufels Bandera. It goes from the fire box and fits under the water pan. I've cooked dozens of times since I got it with great results. I made a fire box with expanded metal and I start with a full chimney of Kingsford blue and add a split about every thirty minutes or so when needed. I get really nice TB. It's a stick burner so I don't expect constant no touch temps like my Weber Performer with a Smokenator. I cook in a range from 220 to 275 degrees. It will certainly get hotter if you want it to. I live in Las Vegas with very mild winter temps, so I'm not sure how well this unit would work in the great North with wind and freezing temps. The metal is thin but actually thicker than I expected. As stated, the thermometer is junk. I use a Maverick 732 with the leads dropped through the exhaust. Contrary to some, I get full slabs of St Louis ribs to fit with no problem With five shelves I don't think I'll ever fill it in one cook. All of the needed mods are on Youtube. If you are willing to do the mods this is a great cooker. Without the mods it's probably a waste of money. I can't comment on using it only with charcoal. I wouldn't use it that way. That's what a Weber is for.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Trailmaster-Vertical-Smoker-855-6303-SB/203703110

If your budget isn't a problem then go custom, from reading what everyone else says I'd go Shirley but just because I want a reverse flow. But if your like most folks I'd go look at Academy, Lowes, or Home Depot and you can find a solid stick burner for $500 or less. To me I'm looking at getting the over under old country pit from Academy.

Back