Making My Shirley Warmer Into A Over Night Cooker

BBQ Freak

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
was wanting to buy a over night cooker that I did not haft to baby sit and would be able to get some sleep on long cooks . I am thinking of converting my warmer box into this but be able to use it as a warmer too . It will be real easy to add the adapter for a BBQ Guru to control a steady temp but will need a removable plate to put above the charcoal pan so it does not direct cook . I need help with a idea how to do the plate and make it vent into the chamber or do you guys think it would get hot enough with no vent ? was thinking I might haft to make a basket to set above the charcoal pan to get more charcoal for a longer burn time or I might experiment with a elevated basket in the fire box and try this and put the Guru adapter on the fire box just when doing the over night thing . what do you guys think ?

I would be extremely interested in hearing the results and the process of course!

-D

Shagdog mention in another thread that he tried to do it in the firebox but all the charcoal lite up in 30 minutes but I am thinking it had to much air flow still for the main chamber opening so if doing this in the fire box it would need the plug and I have seen another member here with that option on thier Shirley .

I had Paul install a valve for my BBQ Guru. Have not actually used it yet though. Looking forward to your results.

20140522_102242_zpsa2f2e5e1.jpg

Seems like a Humphreys Down East Beast would look Real Nice next to the Shirley under the Blue LEDs........

Do you have any pictures of the fire box and main cc dampers?

I do but I respect Paul and Tyler and do not want other people to steal there products venting system .

Seems like a Humphreys Down East Beast would look Real Nice next to the Shirley under the Blue LEDs........

I am still looking at the Battle Box and the Kat Vertical and will probably go that way but the wheels are always tuning and never stop , lol .

You could mosey on over to St Louis BBQ store and snatch up a Battle Box or Pint - no wait.

I would think some felt gasket on both doors would help seal them up pretty tight. Your biggest issue is the opening from the firebox to the main cook chamber, you'll need to find a way to seal that to prevent it from feeding the fire.

I would stick to the warmer as its a vertical cooker already setup. All you would need is a baffle/heat deflector over the fire and maybe a charcoal basket with a maze. Use the damper from the fb to feed air to the charcoal basket if the big intakes let in too much air. The intakes are not designed to be airtight. I've thought about this several times but since I don't get rid of many cookers I have too many that get ignored as it is so o haven't bothered testing my theory. Looking forward to your testing. I wouldn't cut out or drill anything without trying it as is with mods that can be removed but I'm not as adventurous as you.

I do but I respect Paul and Tyler and do not want other people to steal there products venting system .

I am still looking at the Battle Box and the Kat Vertical and will probably go that way but the wheels are always tuning and never stop , lol .

My battle box is very sad now that I have the Shirley....but it consistently hits home runs when I don't want to tend.

It wouldn't be hard to seal it up. I plan on doing the same thing.
This was my intention when I got the extended height warmer. I've just not even come close to experimenting, not enough weekends free.

Back