• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Carne Asada Tri-Tip (w/ pr0n!)

USMC

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Picked up a tri-tip from a butcher the other day. I had to make a 45 minute road trip to get it from a butcher. Who says you can't get tri-tip in the south? Decided to try it carne asada style since that's the way I had it out in Arizona.

Cutting off the fat cap. Got to use my Havalon Piranta. Got this for skinning game, but the replaceable scalpel blades make light work on trimming fat. I first saw this knife used by Steven Rinella on my favorite show "Meateater" and this knife is everything Steven says. Gotta get you one!

In the carne asada marinade.

Kettle set up for indirect with two pecan chips and a sliver of mesquite. Giving the WSM a break tonight.

[/URL

[URL=http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/USMCRIDER77/media/image_zps3a908abd.jpg.html]

A little reverse sear.

A little more reverse sear.

Foil packets with some green bell pepper and onions in carne asada marinade.

That's all for now. I'll try to get some plated pr0n if not too busy eating. Y'all know how that goes!

I truly forget how hard it is for some to get the wonderful cut of Tri-Tip. We take it for granted out here in Cali. Glad you could find some.

And here we are all plated up. I was going for medium rare but overshot it by a fuzz to medium. Was still pink in the center even though it doesn't show it here. Still turned out tender and juicy. Thanks for looking y'all!

I truly forget how hard it is for some to get the wonderful cut of Tri-Tip. We take it for granted out here in Cali. Glad you could find some.

It was expensive once I found it. $8.99 lb. Can you believe I found a half USDA sirloin roast with tri-tip still attached at Walmart the very next day for half the price of the one I found at the butcher shop? That ones getting thrown on the WSM this weekend.

When you overshoot like that, it just means you need to eat faster. :p Looks good.

It was gone quick with no leftovers first round!

I hate to break it to you, but that's not tri tip. Grain and shape is all wrong.

Just wondering what you use for your carne marinade, I have several different recipes I use but havent found the one I love yet!

I hate to break it to you, but that's not tri tip. Grain and shape is all wrong.

If the butcher pulled a fast one on me, he gave me a chunk of meat that had grain running two different ways and tasted just like tri-tip. So I say no harm no foul. My question is this. If it's not tri-tip, then what could it possibly be?

Just wondering what you use for your carne marinade, I have several different recipes I use but havent found the one I love yet!

It came from simplyrecipes.com. I added one white onion and substituted the vinegar with whatsthishere sauce (Worcestershire sauce). I also added a half cup of orange juice and juice from two lemons. I added the orange and lemon juice since I saw another citrus carne asada recipe and figured it couldn't hurt. It turned out real good.

This is copied directly from simply recipes.

4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seed (best to lightly toast the seeds first, then grind them)
1 large handful fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, finely chopped (great flavor in the stems)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup olive oil

I like the knife, I have wanted one of those for a while but never pulled the trigger.

Same here. I was itching to purchase it with hunting season coming up. If it skins deer as good as it trimmed that fat cap, it will be perfect. It comes with 12 blades and reordering them is pretty cheap. Being a scalpel blade, I doubt I'll have to stop several times during skinning to sharpen like with a regular knife. Most reviews say one blade will do multiple skinnings before needing changed.

Back