Proud Daddy, got to give my boy his first grilling lesson!!!

midwest_kc

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So at the Royal this year, on Saturday when my son was there with us, he made a comment about wanting to do BBQ Competitions (and my heart skipped a beat - I wasn't that happy the first time I kissed a girl!). We started talking about it, and I told him how if he wanted, we'd get him in to some of the Kid's Q's at some of our comps, and how that meant he'd probably have to cook burgers and steaks (the kid only eats chicken for some reason), and he seemed ok with that.

So last night, I finally had a chance to give him is first lesson! We grilled some veggies to make a grilled guacamole, and then he grilled the burgers on a smokey joe, and I grilled some chicken bombs on the performer. He also did the bacon on the SJ, in a small cast iron pan. I only got a couple pictures, but they turned out great!

This is the burger that he put together, my wife ended up adding a little more guacamole before she at it, but this is all his effort:

IMG_20141012_193413.jpg

Sadly, even then I couldn't get him to even try it. Oh well, he said he had fun, and still wants to do them, so I'll keep on him - he'll come around.

We seasoned with dizzy pig's raising the steaks rub, and used a pepper jack cheese, with the bacon and guac. We make the guac chunky, that's how we like it, especially on burgers like this - adds some different texture.

Here are a couple other pics of him while we were roasting the veggies for the guac:

IMG_20141012_180402.jpg

IMG_20141012_180414.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'm so excited to have him start doing the Kid's Q's next year! Though, he did also tell me he was going to be at the Royal with me all 4 days next year. That won't be happening.

That is so AWESOM! Congratulations to your Son and what a great Dad you are to support him at this early age. I believe every kid should be able to have a shot at their dreams as early in life as possible.

You done raised him right. Well, except for that chick only thing...

I know, I don't know what that's about. I was weird about what I ate growing up, too, though. So I'm hoping he grows out of it like I did.

Keep showing him how to make decent food at home, the art of grilling is something he can add to for the rest of his life. Both my sons are able to do a decent job with the outdoor cooking lessons they learned from me over the years. Everything doesn't have to be a competition.

In general, spend as much time doing things with him as you can, you'll blink your eyes and he'll be out from under your roof and you'll have that big lump in your throat like I have right now.

Mike

That's awesome! My youngest daughter (8) and I cooked our first BBQ comp together 2 weeks ago. We won GC. She is hooked! Good luck to you and your son.

Very very cool. I am hoping my sons show a little interest in the grill eventually.

My 5yo has an awesome t-shirt my wife got him that says future grill-master so he's already being prodded.

:thumb:I thinks this is Awesome I was about his age when I started learnin about playing meat and fire too.:-D

jasonjax, my son is 6, and this is the first time he's shown any interest, so you're still in good shape. He's come down on Saturday to the Royal the last 3 years, but until this year he seemed more interested in whatever toy my wife let him bring, than what was going on. He hasn't been out to any of the other comps yet, so when we get one that has a kid's q, we'll see how he does.

Can't start 'em too young! That's great, I hope he stays interested in it. My teenage son grills, and both my kids cook, and I really like that.

That is sooooo cool. I gave my grandson his first SJ, when he was 4. He helps me cook hot dogs and sausages. His first burn didn't go over too well with mom and grandma, but he wasn't paying attention, or listening to grandpa. That soured him for a bit, but he still likes helping me cook, even if it's not on his cooker. He'll end up being a better grillmaster/pitmaster than me!!

Matt

Awesome, I can't wait to start cooking with my son either. He's ready to go but he's only 4 so I'm still a little concerned with the burning and cutting himself thing. In due time.

On the positive side, you'll get to eat a lot of tasty burgers and your son will grow up with totally healthy cholesterol levels. :thumb:

Of all the things I do with my kids grilling and smoking bbq is the greatest. We love cooking and eating together.

Awesome.
teach him lamb Chops, he will kick butts with that.
All kids love Lamb chops,? right?

Awesome.
teach him lamb Chops, he will kick butts with that.
All kids love Lamb chops,? right?

lamb chops? pfft...this is 'Merica :rolleyes:

course, both of my kids like lambchops...but that's cuz I've raised 'em right :thumb:

Vonnie , my Wife suggested Chicken burger,
that's good right?

Thanks for looking! I'm so excited to have him start doing the Kid's Q's next year! Though, he did also tell me he was going to be at the Royal with me all 4 days next year. That won't be happening.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on getting him interested in cooking and seeing him grow into the kids-Q. However, and this is just friendly advice so please don't take it wrong. Please find some way to let him know your rules for the Royal next year. Otherwise, he will be more disappointed than the kid on Christmas morning who didn't get the pony he had hoped for all year.

That's a great suggestion, Robert, thank you. We certainly will do that, and we'll certainly let him do the Kid's Q. Hopefully it will be warm enough he can maybe stay on Saturday night, but between the potential for cold weather, school, and the craziness of Friday night, I think that would be the only night he could come down.

Back