WSM Question

Dmakkk

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I live in LBNY and i am on the ocean second floor. I am cooking a beer can chix tonight and I am trying to keep the temp up with some wind. I know i need to experiment a little bit but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on vent control. I have left the vents open and the temp went down. Closed one and it stabelized but then went low. I stoked the coals a little and added a few and it went up but back down. No water in the pan. Just looking for advice. Thanks in advance.

You are dealing with the atmospheric pressure. As day turns to night the wind pattern changes at the shore. Try to determine the vent on the drag side. What it is doing is dragging down through the top vent and out towards the water. Watch how it exhausts through the top vent. When you see a steady push of blue you have found a good control with the vents. Either that or you are burning out your fuel due to the wind.

Open all 3 of your bottom vents 100% for starters... Then position something on the windy side of your cooker to help block the direct wind a little bit. If you're using a really ashy charcoal that could also be adding to your issues getting the temp up.

Yeah i figured as much. I put a chair there for now and figure it out going forward.

Yeah i figured as much. I put a chair there for now and figure it out going forward.
If it's a standard chair, even a sheet over the chair, draping on the ground, will help to block the wind.
My advice, RELAX. So long as the temp stays above 250 deg, worst case, it will just take more time.

Back