Sneaky cook, yesterday....

DubfromGA

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My son is not a fan of mayo. He's just not gonna eat it.

A wouldn't be doing my part as a proper parent if I didn't remedy this. I have many great childhood memories of hanging out at my grandparents home and there being a jar of Duke's used in some of the stuff she'd make. Lotta great memories wrapped up in each jar.

Duke's used in this cook.

Blue Plate will be tried on the next.

There will be no other mayo's used in my rotation. :biggrin1:

I was more in the mood for a long slow'n'low cook....and a good nap, but it just wasn't to be had. Had a limited amount of time available to fit into the family's afternoon & evening schedule.

Had a nice piece of pecan that I wanted to use......so pecan cooked yardbird it was. No time to brine. Just took it outa the pack & rinsed it off.

Used mayo to slather on the chicken breasts & runners. Was kinda fun. Looked down and thought it was gonna be a hit.

I used two rubs that really taste great on chicken and fish....they came together in a great way. Back into the fridge for another hour or so.

I put the pecan wood on and let it burn off the bark. Turned it a couple times.

Ran it a little north of 350.

Nice cool, damp August afternoon. Good tunes cranking on the deck....smoke in the air. Relaxing times.

Back inside to work on the sides.....running Southern rock inside.....outlaw country outside. Nice transitions throughout this fun cook. :)

Sides were little trees and poblano peppas.

Since there was enough Duke's mayo left.....I decided to make up a proper batch of Alabama White Sauce for the yardbird. Using that last batch of smoked salt in there, too.

Flavor was good to me.....hoped the tribe would like it. Son isn't a fan of mayo....

Went out back to check in with the outlaw country section.....

Things were coming along well. Directly over the coals...skin starting to head in the right direction.

Back to Southern rock. Little trees were steamed with butter & soy sauce....topped with American & NY Chedda.

Outlaw cook coming along well....

I wanted to roll 'em around over the grates a bit more in order to get the nice char on each piece....but was reminded that we were up against a firm time constraint.....so everything came off the grill and straight to the table and killed the Southern rock.

Bedded down the runners over the 'Bama White Sauce.....

Folks......a carnage ensued. Looked like Game of Thrones dragons feasting.

Ordinarily I'd spare ya's the carnage shots.....but I laughed at one of the plates my son handed back with request to reload it....he ate three plates of this stuff. Little joker is a lean-mean-eating-machine.

Happy griller, here.

Great post!!! I have yet to try mayo...but that's about to change [emoji41]

That'll teach him :thumb: give him the recipe for the chicken a day later:twitch: and ask him about how much he hates mayo. Good looking yardbird.

Thank you, folks.

I really enjoy grilling and cooking on my days off work.

It's fun.

Even tonight's eats cooked inside on faux grill were mighty fun. Tribe was seated nearby while I was cooking.

It was a great way to catch up on everyone's day.....even though I kept quiet on much of my day's activities. I'm pleading the 5th about a new grill and a new smoker that is "hidden" in the garage. I have no knowledge of such.

I had to have them, though.

Had to.

Tonight's inside-made eats......bacon was left on the George Foreman way too long. :twitch:

Meathead Goldwyn's Burger Glop sauce recipe.....went on the bottom buns over the carmelized Vidalia onions.......grand slam home run flavor that everyone went nuts over.

Sliced up a single large baking potato......

Gotta toast the buns if you use this sauce, though....

The plan was for T-Rex to get the double stack and wife and I to get a single each......didn't quite work out that way......son did his double....and another single. :heh:

Wife got her's......I'll throw on a Bubba Burger or something later on.

T-Rex's first.....

Her's....she said she only wanted a couple of fries to try....T-Rex said he'd kill the rest, lol.

Amazing! Just bought a jar of Duke's because the Blue Plate was over $4.00! Got a recipe on the jar for the Alabama White Sauce, so I have to give that a try soon!

Amazing! Just bought a jar of Duke's because the Blue Plate was over $4.00! Got a recipe on the jar for the Alabama White Sauce, so I have to give that a try soon!

LMAO.......this is a pic I took early on in my shopping trip today. Texted it to a friend that I'm trying to edumacate about proper mayos.

She's an amazing Italian chef and the only weakness, dare I use that term, in her cooking game is grilling. On that I can speak to her like I know what I'm talking about.

She's from Chicago.....so I can speak on Southernese stuff with authority as well.

I'm clueless about hockey....but we both like the Cubs and were blown away with last year's World Series.

Check out Meathead Goldwyn's recipe on amazingribs.com or in his new book.

I followed the recipe from the book....and added the zest from a largish lemon to it. Next time I'm adding lime juice & lime zest.

If I got nothing outa Adam Perry Lang's book.....I learned how much a griller needs a microplane grater. :thumb:

WOW what great cooks and pictures !
Thanks ! That chicken looked amazing-

Thank you !!!!

Mt. Pilot hombre Barney Fife avi pic is making me laugh.

I was born, raised and lived 30 years in ENC......Andy Griffith Show was a daily staple in our house. :razz:

As far as my chicken goes.......it sucked mightily until I started using an instant-read thermometer.

My Thermapen was a game changer in my grilling and cooking.

The pecking order wasn't clear in my household because I did well in marriage...marrying a beautiful woman. I outputted my coverage for certain.

She doesn't cook. Never has.

Left an opening for me to attempt to gain leverage.....

Chicken was always overcooked........steaks never a proper medium rare.......so on and so forth.......until the Thermapen.

Bought it and cried once over the initial price.

Now.....looking back.....that piece of tech should've been a damn wedding gift.

It's established my position as Chief of this piece. Head Honcho. Numero Uno. Badass Hombre.

My chicken doneness is on point.

Steaks are as they were ordered....even though I cringe when a guest requests a "well done" steak....:loco:

Just KILLER, Dub....and great pics! :thumb:

I agree on the Dukes. I can't buy it here, but I have a connection that bootlegs a supply to me. :-D

LMAO at bootleg mayo.

Good stuff, brother. Good stuff.

I was in Costco earlier this afternoon.....trying my damnedest to find some unsliced pork belly and saw this.....

Duke's by the gallon.

Bacon, egg & cheese biscuits for the family this morning.

Diced up a couple potatoes and rolled 'em around in mayo and added Vidalia & jalapeño.

Decent hashbrowns were had.

Theirs:

Mine:

Doing a batch of pork burnt ends.....or at least gonna give it an honest effort.

I have some other projects to do around the house.....these can smoke away and be proper eats for later on this afternoon.

Fired up a batch of lump in old red....and spread this cup of pellets into the lump.....also worked in a mini-split of pecan wood. If nothing else....there will be smoke, lol.

Roughly trimmed and "cubed"......then slathered with Blue Plate mayo and hit 'em hard with a rub that I like.

Had fun these last couple of days off. That ends today, I'm afraid. Working through the weekend, but will doing a brisket and some ribs on Monday, I think.

The pork burnt ends turned out okay....not as good as they could have been had I used a sauce closer to SBR. Instead I made a sauce from Raichlen's book and used it. Wife loved it on the wings....it was good...but just not what I was shooting for on the burnt ends.

They were great right off the grill. The mayo trick really allows for a thick coating of rub...more so than using mustard. I don't think it makes much difference later on in the cook, though...but I'm going to keep using on Monday's brisket and ribs.

I took them, doused them in sauce, back on the grill for a few more minutes and took them out of the sauce on the grates a few minutes. Nice sticky consistency.

No finished pics as they were gobbled up pretty dang quick.

Threw on some wings that had been in brine all day. Hit 'em with the RecTec Greek rub....this stuff shines on chicken. Everyone here that's tried it loves it on wings.

Salad with some dressing I made from lemons, limes & honey...wish I'd measured the stuff because it was really good.

All pics look really good, but your Alabama White sauce looks killer..
how much vinegar do you use? I've made it once, WAY too vinegary,
but will try again. Great thread.

Thanks for sharing all your cooks look amazingly delicious.

I have tried to tell folks that mayo applied before cooking does not make the food taste like mayo, as a matter of fact using "yellow" mustard as a slather prior to cooking does not taste like mustard. This seems to be the case for many precooking applications. A friend I used to make steaks for could not have salt so I would squeeze lime juice on his steaks just before they went on the grill and he would swear I added salt.

Back