If you could buy a new smoker?

Big Country BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
If you had 6k to drop on a competiton smoker that was insulated and you don't have to use a guru what would you buy?

I am looking at 3 gateway drums and a enclosed trailer

Off set stick burners its insulated fire box on a enclosed cart

Or humphreys pint plus with enclosed trailer

Standard 270 Smoker. You could buy two of them and still have enough left over for a 12' enclosed trailer.

I don't believe in fancy gadgets.. I want to be able to cook anytime and not have to worry about electricity

Then if you want insulated go with the Humphreys. With the offset only the firebox is insulated, not the whole cooker, and the drums aren't insulated.

If you had 6k to drop on a competiton smoker that was insulated and you don't have to use a guru what would you buy?

I am looking at 3 gateway drums and a enclosed trailer

Off set stick burners its insulated fire box on a enclosed cart

Or humphreys pint plus with enclosed trailer

You got the right idea. 3 Gateways and a trailer is the way to go. Light and easy to handle, you can sleep all night and they win. This is my exact setup so hit me up if you have any questions.

You got the right idea. 3 Gateways and a trailer is the way to go. Light and easy to handle, you can sleep all night and they win. This is my exact setup so hit me up if you have any questions.

Does it matter about insulation how does the flavor compare to stick burner

Does it matter about insulation how does the flavor compare to stick burner

You don't want them insulated or they will burn too efficient and not draw. Drums are inherently efficent so weather is not a problem either. You might open the intakes a tick more in cold weather, but that is it.

I like the flavor off of a stick burner and I think the drums more than equal that or I wouldn't use them. You get the flavor because you are cooking direct over coals causing the fat and juices to vaporize adding moisture and the flavor to your cooking environment.

I just got home from Jackson, Tennessee and the top two both cooked exclusively on Gateways including a180 in ribs, a brisket win and a700. The flavor is there!

Backyard bomber big mjh or two regular mjh's

I know cookers are great but if the budget doesn't allow everything I think an enclosed can be a game changer. When you can get out of any weather environment, cold, heat, rain, wind, snow it is a PLUS!. The pitmaster can't be off his game and stying dry, warm or cool can only better yourself and keep you on point.

So in short, get an enclosed and any cooker you think you can perform on be it a gateway or an insulated cabinet.

It's hard to beat drums for ease of use. No electronic gadgets needed, holds temps well, easy to unload and move around. Another advantage of drums is being able to preload them at home with charcoal and woodchunks. The only charcoal I take to contests is for the grill we use for chicken.

Stickburners produce such a unique flavor that is hard to beat. I will say drums are close though.

Nothing beats having a trailer with heat and AC btw.

If I wasn't going to use gadgets, I would cook hot and fast on a Jambo-type offset or drums. If you don't have an RV I would opt for the enclosed trailer and drums, but I would probably just build three UDS's and apply the savings to A/C or a larger trailer.

Back