Chopped/Sliced Brisket

B

BFoster

In my life I've never considered chopped brisket except when it came to ends. I've had a situation arise where I own a kitchen in Missouri and cost per pound of brisket is coming into my attention and getting good even cuts of that thru the point is an exception.

I'm only serving 3 days a week (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and it's not always to my perogative to just serve sliced. The menu I'm serving is very menial...it's Pulled pork sandwich, sliced brisket, beans, coleslaw and potato salad. This is on top of the appetizers. I have a regular corporate job, didn't advertise and sold 30 plates the first day, 70 the next and close to 100 on Saturday.

The other thing I have to consider is that my daughter will be with me for the school year, I'm a rare exception....she lives here with me during school (dang! 7th grade!). I have no family here, she'll be my help. :)

Here's my real question, I'm not bitching...I promise. I wanted to just make things across the board and serve sandwiches....pulled pork, brisket...etc. Is it acceptible to just chop the whole brisket for sandwiches?

-Brian

Is it acceptible to just chop the whole brisket for sandwiches?

Sure. The flat might have a different texture. Try one out and see what you think. Might seperate the point when the flat is done, and cook the point a little longer. Get a big cutting board and 2 cleavers and chop away. If you like it, serve it, if not offer sliced and chopped.

Sure. The flat might have a different texture. Try one out and see what you think. Might seperate the point when the flat is done, and cook the point a little longer. Get a big cutting board and 2 cleavers and chop away. If you like it, serve it, if not offer sliced and chopped.

I agree, I've had nothing but compliments on the brisket. I'm just trying to make it easier in a way. I've had the Summer off(just from my daughter). I just want to go all Benny Hanna on the brisket and make it quicker. :)

I'm just trying to make sure I'm not making a huge bbq mistake and doing it wrong. Truthfully, I think it makes a wicked sandwich.

As a customer I'd have no issue ordering a chopped brisket sandwich off a menu if I was looking to have brisket and that was the only option.

wouldn't pulling/shredding be about the same? the tips could still be chopped.

wouldn't pulling/shredding be about the same? the tips could still be chopped.

Yessir, I agree. IMHO with when you buy a case of packed briskets though...it's a crap shoot how many nice slices you can get off of a given brisket. Sometimes the grain changes and sometimes you just miss the temperature by a few degrees.

I think with the time I have and the folks that have answered...I'll go with chopped for the meantime. Out of each brisket, I'll probably have about 10-12 slices that I'm very proud to serve....the rest...are wicked but not up to a standard I've been used to.

-Brian.

With chopped beef, you can offer it wet(sauce mixed in). Could be a way to save a brisket that is a tad dry.

With chopped beef, you can offer it wet(sauce mixed in). Could be a way to save a brisket that is a tad dry.

Yep, I agree....though that hasn't been the case yet. The problem I have is that I slice a bunch of nice brisket, and in the fumble from heat to table...it gets broken.

Also, I'd rather use all of the brisket, I don't mind putting burnt ends into the fridge.....I mind trying to find new recipes for the brisket I don't think is fit. I think I need to change my attitude. ;-)

dig ya!

I prefer a chopped/pulled brisket sandwich with a mix of flat & point than sliced. Burnt ends sandwich would be great as well

Chopped/pulled sammies are no problem in my book. For a commercial operation I think that is the way to go for the reasons you pointed out plus being able to hold the chopped/pulled with a little sauce much better/longer.

Chopped also makes some mean chile when it gets a little colder!

So which would you guys serve if you had to pick one?

Chopped or pulled?

I think pulled would be less labor intensive........maybe

Mix the flat and point or separate?

Good thread Bfoster!

I'm starting a personal chef/catering business........

Local Restaurants

around these parts there are 2 decent (barely) BBQ restaurants. One serves chopped brisket regardless of plated or sammie and it is always dry. The other serves slices off the flat and chopped point in a sandwich. The sandwich is served wet.

Both are pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate ordering chopped. If the meat is good, then I am happy!

My folks have a little restaurant and bar opening in a few weeks. The lady running the kitchen knows country cooking, but not bbq. After they get open and going they want to add some q. As many lunches as it looks like they will be serving, I couldn't imagine having time to do sliced. For sandwiches, I think chopped would be the way to go. If you were offering just a brisket plate with sides, then I would think sliced.

I agree, I've had nothing but compliments on the brisket. I'm just trying to make it easier in a way. I've had the Summer off(just from my daughter). I just want to go all Benny Hanna on the brisket and make it quicker. :)

I'm just trying to make sure I'm not making a huge bbq mistake and doing it wrong. Truthfully, I think it makes a wicked sandwich.

I've never chopped brisket ahead of time and held it. I don't know how the flavor would hold. But, if you want a chopped brisket sandwich that is to die for, chop the point and flat together. Talk about moist and succulent. Oh my :icon_shock1:

Edit: Sauce on top or on the side. Not mixed in to meat.

I used to work in college for a BBQ chain restaurant in DFW area. We used three JR/Oyler pits and went through dozens of briskets a day.

The briskets were whole packers covered in rub and thrown in the pit. When they were done we separated the point & flats and saved the fat trimmings to use in the chopped brisket sandwiches. We served sliced brisket plates from the flat, a sliced brisket sandwich from the point (would do from the flat if requested) and chopped brisket sammich.

We chopped the points and flat scraps together and they made a very good chopped brisket sammich PLUS we got the maximum yield we could and wasted NO brisket at all.

We sold a big chopped brisket filled baked potato that was popular too. Definitely add chopped brisket to the menu! It will increase your profits!

Back