logo

Klose Pits

BossDawgDH

Reaction score
I hear a lot about Shirley's and Lone Star Grillz for great quality, customer service and overall superior pit design and construction. Where do Pits by Klose fair in terms of quality and construction? Seems like he has fallen off a little bit???

From everything i can see and have heard.. He is a top knotch builder... I would say he builds very high quality pits...

I haven't seen Shirley or LSG in person so I can't make a comparison, but I got my Klose a maybe 5 or so years back and love it. Excellent quality and I'm guessing it'll be around for decades.

I'm guessing more is heard about the others because they are more affordable and from what I've seen in pix the quality of the build seems to be on par with Klose - bear in mind comparing a smoker I can see up close to pix is probably not a good indicator, but people on here whose opinions I trust speak very highly of the quality of cookers like LSG and Shirley. I Shirley and LSG owners love their pits as much as I love my Klose.

I know if and when I look for another offset (would love a trailer rig one day...) I'd be looking very seriously at these 2 as well as Klose. I think if Paul were to throw in a plate of soul food with a purchase I'd be headed to Alabama. :heh:

Dave Klose and company make extremely good quality pits.

Klose Pits are right up there in quality with Shirley but Paul's smokers are just smoking hot with people wanting them , it a new trend but this trend might not stop , lol .

I called Klose back in 2011 just to ask questions. David answered the phone on the first ring and talked to me for 45 minutes. When I called back 6 months later, he remembered our conversation in great detail and knew exactly what I wanted.

My pit is built like a Mack Truck and I love it. Someday I'd like to get one just a bit bigger and plan to buy from Klose again.

David Klose is a phenomenon of a human being.

His pits are amazing to cook on, I have had the pleasure a few times and they are built like tanks, heavy and solid. It has been my dream pit for a long time now. It isn't a reverse flow, and there in lies some of the reason it has lost a little shine for some, and they are pricey for a large pit. Still, they are great smokers with excellent quality.

I really dig Shirley's and consider Paul to also be fantastic, and one thing I like about Paul, is I have never heard him run down another builders product. I think that is a big deal.

I called Klose back in 2011 just to ask questions. David answered the phone on the first ring and talked to me for 45 minutes. When I called back 6 months later, he remembered our conversation in great detail and knew exactly what I wanted.

My pit is built like a Mack Truck and I love it. Someday I'd like to get one just a bit bigger and plan to buy from Klose again.

I spoke with Dana when I was getting mine, and she was fantastic, and I've heard if you get Dave you'd better have a chair and a drink. They seem to be very attentive to customer service. My experience was great and I've always heard the same for other folks.

Killens BBQ is running the restaurant with Klose Pits. They are impressive looking pits to say the least.

Lots of competition in Houston area with Lone Star Grillz, Gator Pits, Klose, Pitmaker and so on. Most have waiting list on their pits and they are a lifetime investment.

I love mine.. I especially like the fact that it very easy to run with no stress about temps

Killens BBQ is running the restaurant with Klose Pits. They are impressive looking pits to say the least.

Lots of competition in Houston area with Lone Star Grillz, Gator Pits, Klose, Pitmaker and so on. Most have waiting list on their pits and they are a lifetime investment.

Never been to Killens so i really do not know what I am talking about but, I was under the impression most of their meat is smoked using an Oyler pit.

Texas Monthly interview. States rotisserie in header advises buying a Klose big enough to hold 60 Briskets. You're both right. http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-ronnie-killen-of-killens-barbecue/

But to the OP's question. My older brother has a 9000$ Klose piece of custom art Smoker It is beautiful and I've grilled but never smoked on it. Honestly when he cooks for 8-10 people he uses his PBC or his Saber gasser. Not a question of quality though. He loves his Klose- just too big

I bought my Klose about a year ago on Craigslist.
It's like GTRs but 10" shorter. Love the smoker but wish it was bigger.
I told my wife I needed to buy a larger smoker and told her Gregs was 10" larger then mine, she looked a me for a few seconds then started laughing. :mmph:

Anyway, great smoker!! I will end up with something bigger and like Greg said, it will be towable.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back