How Long Do You Keep Rub

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Did a quick inventory on what I had on hand and realized a few of these are getting fairly old.

How long will rubs hold before they start degrading? Have heard six months for spices.
8fefdd583ecbaaa07925e498cfcce8ba.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have some that are pretty old...I guess my palette isn't refined enough to taste that much of a difference. My guess is that rubs in well sealed bags would "last" longer than the plastic flip top lid containers that had previously been opened.

Until they run out. I rarely check dates. If I buy a large quantity I vac seal in smaller quantities and place in the freezer. If I do check dates I only throw out open ones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My guess is they start to taste saltier as some of the other spices degrade a little.

The vac seal is a good idea.

Depends on what I'm using it for! A $99 cent per pound $10 Pork Butt that's going to be pulled and mixed with a sauce and more seasonings who cares? The Bark is more about color and texture for me. Use all the old spice you want!

A $199 Prime Ribeye Roast is a different matter. I will spend $2.99 for a new bottle of McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning to sprinkle on my $200 Holiday Roast for my friends and relatives. Same thing for new Poultry seasoning for the Thanksgiving Turkey, nothing but the best for my friends and family, and that $.99 cents for new Poultry seasoning doesn't hurt my wallet.

My guess is they start to taste saltier as some of the other spices degrade a little.

The vac seal is a good idea.

This is exactly what I have noticed happening. At first I thought I was just getting sensitive to salt, but then noticed a pattern where the older bottles were the one that were too salty.

Until it runs out or I decide I don't like it anymore. I'm not quite enough of a foodie to care about the freshness of dried spices. I've still got a bottle of garlic powder that's older than my marriage, I think.

Yeah I use them until they run out. Sometimes when they get low I’ll combine similar rubs and use them on ribs or pork butt.

Until they run out. I rarely check dates. If I buy a large quantity I vac seal in smaller quantities and place in the freezer. If I do check dates I only throw out open ones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Words to live by! Your response really hit home and touched me deeply.

Living in the south, some rubs tend to clump together more than others, I am assuming because of the humidity. When it really gets hard to use them, out they go.

Living in the south, some rubs tend to clump together more than others, I am assuming because of the humidity. When it really gets hard to use them, out they go.

Gordon's Grub Rub's label states "If clumping occurs remove lid and microwave up to 30 seconds". They're from around Houston so lots of heat and humidity.

I just found a bottle of old bay buried in the back of the spice cabinet....the date on the bottom was 2009. :shock::shock:

I threw that one out.

A long time Have had some for years I keep them in a cool cabinet so it is dark I also frequently keep the seal on it to decrease the air and humidity that can get in the container

Old Spice

Depends on what I'm using it for! A $99 cent per pound $10 Pork Butt that's going to be pulled and mixed with a sauce and more seasonings who cares? The Bark is more about color and texture for me. Use all the old spice you want!

A $199 Prime Ribeye Roast is a different matter. I will spend $2.99 for a new bottle of McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning to sprinkle on my $200 Holiday Roast for my friends and relatives. Same thing for new Poultry seasoning for the Thanksgiving Turkey, nothing but the best for my friends and family, and that $.99 cents for new Poultry seasoning doesn't hurt my wallet.

You mentioned use all the old spice you want. I’ll admit that I’ve used some strange stuff, but not old spice. I have used it for years as an after shave but never as a meat rub. I would think it might have an alcohol taste.

I keep mine for around two years but i also vac seal and will last longer when I buy bulk rubs . I keep the ones in my cabinet I cut the end of a bread bag and screw the top on tight helps too .

Attachments

• DSC_0041.jpg
    DSC_0041.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 41
Glad to hear I'm not alone!

I've claimed my own drawer in the bottom of the main fridge.
I know without looking that I've had some for over 2 years. I'll mix some together for a MSU cook.

Back